This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Lewis and the Literary Period

Lewis and the Literary Period

Postby Summamum » February 19th, 2006, 2:22 am

Hi,

What literary period does Lewis fit into and why?

thanks
Summamum

re: Lewis and the Literary Period

Postby carol » February 19th, 2006, 9:26 am

Basically the 20th century. You could probably call him "Modern".

Back in the 20th century, when I was studying literature (in the earlier 1970s), there were only two main 20th century periods, "Modern" which was earlier 20th, and "Contemporary" which meant just written. There may have been a new category created since then of course.

Is that some help? He wasn't a WWI war poet exactly, although he DID write poetry during that war and to do with it (I think).
carol
Wardrobian

re: Lewis and the Literary Period

Postby Sven » February 19th, 2006, 12:42 pm

Now, that's an interesting question. As Carol said, 'Modern' is the correct answer if we were doing classification the way they do it in academia these days. But...

Lewis himself might not of classified himself with Modern English Literature. He might have seen himself as a medeval writer who was willing to use more recent inovations in technique and genre.

I don't have time to really think about it just now, I've got church in a couple of hours. I'll try and return to this later in the day. Stanley may have some ideas about it, too.
Sven

Re: re: Lewis and the Literary Period

Postby mjmann » February 19th, 2006, 12:49 pm

My understanding of literary periods is that Modernism lasted up until the 60s before being replaced by Post-Modernism (AKA Post Structuralism), which is dominated by the ideas of the Deconstructionist critics (Derrida, Le Man, Foucout (sp?) et al).
mjmann
Wardrobian

Return to Questions & Answers