This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Was C.S. Lewis a pluralist?

Was C.S. Lewis a pluralist?

Postby Guest » March 27th, 2006, 1:35 am

re: Was C.S. Lewis a pluralist?

Postby A#minor » March 27th, 2006, 1:46 am

Lewis was not a pluralist. He believed that some religions were nearer to the truth than others, and that some religions had good qualities in them (such as moral teachings about love, mercy, and justice), but he knew that only belief in Christ could bring salvation. Here's a quote:

"...you are free to think that all those religions, even the queerest ones, contain at least some hint of the truth. ... But, of course, being a Christian does mean thinking that where Christianity differs from other religions, Christianity is right and they are wrong.
As in arithmetic - there is only one right answer to the sum, and all other answers are wrong; but some of the wrong answers are much nearer being right than others."
-Mere Christianity, Chapter entitled "The Rival Conceptions of God"
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Paul F. Ford » March 27th, 2006, 3:23 am

Dear Guest,

If you can get a copy of my book at the library, please read the entry on 'Universalism" which I believe will answer your question.
Paul Ford—self-appointed president of the "245-3617 Club" and proud member of the "245-6317 Club"; author of the Companion to Narnia and the Pocket Companion to Narnia.
Paul F. Ford
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » March 27th, 2006, 8:12 pm

Return to Questions & Answers