This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

C.S. Lewis' as an artist

C.S. Lewis' as an artist

Postby davidwhite » April 18th, 2006, 8:39 pm

I am writing an essay on vocation and am curious about C.S. Lewis' self understanding of himself as a writer. In other words, what theological significance did he attribute to his giftedness as a scholar and writer? Did he view his ability to write, his creativity and imagination as a means of being faithful. Yes, I know that he often used his gift as an apologist, but I am curious about his view of human giftedness in general--his view of how and whether human gifts are in themselves a means of being faithful. Or, under what conditions are human gifts a means of faithfulness. I hope I am being clear. Can anyone provide references to essays or Lewis' own words on the subject?
davidwhite

re: C.S. Lewis' as an artist

Postby A#minor » April 18th, 2006, 9:56 pm

You ought to read Mere Christianity, and especially the chapter entitled Nice People or New Men talks about gifts from God and our use of them.
Here's a bit of it:

"You cannot expect God to look at Dick's placid temper and friendly disposition exactly as we do. They result from natural causes which God Himself creates. Being merely tempermental, they will all disappear if Dick's digestion alters. The niceness, in fact, is God's gift to Dick, not Dick's gift to God."

One might go further to say that Lewis' writing ability is, in fact, God's gift to Lewis, not Lewis' gift to God.

Hope this helps. God Bless.
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

re: C.S. Lewis' as an artist

Postby A#minor » April 18th, 2006, 9:59 pm

You can search easily through many of his books at Amazon.
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Return to Questions & Answers