This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Could you please help me

Could you please help me

Postby Student » May 23rd, 2006, 2:36 am

I have a few questions.

1. Why was C.S. Lewis known as Jack?
2. Who is Mrs. Moore?
3. Who is Walter Hooper?
4. What does the title Shadowlands mean?
5. Did C.S. Lewis lose his faith after the loss of his wife?
6. What biographies have been writen about him?

If you could help me I would greatly appreciate it.
Student

re: Could you please help me

Postby Lady Rebecca » May 23rd, 2006, 5:04 am

A few answers! :) Welcome, by the way.

1. Why was C.S. Lewis known as Jack? He didn't like his real name, and when he was a small child, he chose the name Jack for himself (it was the name of a dog that he loved and was tragically killed by a car). The story goes that he simply refused to answer to anything else, so it stuck.

2. Mrs. Moore was the mother of one of Jack's close friends. When Jack and the young Moore (can't remember 1st name right off) went off to war, they swore to each other that if one of them should die, the other would take care of the slain's family. Jack's friend died, Jack was spared, and Jack fulfilled his word, at great cost to himself. He "adopted" Mrs. Moore and her daughter, and provided housing and support for them for years and years.

3. Who is Walter Hooper? I don't know. :)

4. What does the title Shadowlands mean? I'm not 100% sure, but I think it is talking about the world we are living in now, and how life can be overshadowed by grief. Someone help me out here.

5. Did C.S. Lewis lose his faith after the loss of his wife? No. He was shaken, he was wracked with grief, but if anything, the grief pulled him closer to God, not away from him.

6. What biographies have been written about him? I've only read one, Jack's Life by Douglas Gresham, his stepson. There are others, but I don't know what their titles are.
"Well, you know how it feels if you begin hoping for something that you want desperately badly; you almost fight against the hope because it is too good to be true; you've been disappointed so often before. But it was no good trying to throttle this hope. It might - really, really, it just might be true. So many odd things had happened already." - from the magician's nephew

Member 2456317 Club
Lady Rebecca
Wardrobian

Re: Could you please help me

Postby carol » May 23rd, 2006, 10:41 am

carol
Wardrobian

re: Could you please help me

Postby john » May 23rd, 2006, 11:21 am

It's possible that the teacher who assigned this took the questions from Andrew's FAQ. Now the students just have to find the FAQ and they'll have the answers. Nice one. ;)
john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Thanks!!!!

Postby Student » May 23rd, 2006, 10:55 pm

Student

Return to Questions & Answers