This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

What order?

What order?

Postby Nancy » 23 Jun 2006, 20:10

What is the best order to read the Chronicles?
Nancy

re: What order?

Postby Karen » 23 Jun 2006, 20:14

From the FAQ (see tab above):

Simply put, there is no correct way, but there are preferred ways.

If you are reading them for the first time, there are two logical ways of numbering the Narnia books. When the American publisher Macmillan decided to put numbers on their editions they chose to use the order in which the books were originally published, i.e.:

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (1950)
Prince Caspian (1951)
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (1952)
The Silver Chair (1953)
The Horse and His Boy (1954)
The Magicians Nephew (1955)
The Last Battle (1956)

When HarperCollins took over the publication of the books in America, they decided to keep numbering the books, but on the recommendation of Lewis' stepson, Douglas Gresham, they adopted the order that follows Narnian Chronology, i.e:

The Magicians Nephew
The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe
The Horse and His Boy
Prince Caspian
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
The Silver Chair
The Last Battle
This is also the order followed by the current British editions, published by Fontana Lions.

As for my recommendation...I always recommend that the first-time reader begin with The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and then continue in the published order. Once all seven books have been read in that order, read them again (and again) however you choose.

Recommended reading: www.aslan.demon.co.uk/narnia.htm
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

re: What order?

Postby A#minor » 23 Jun 2006, 22:25

The best way to read the CON is in the order in which Lewis wrote them: i.e. the original publication order.
That's why I belong to the 2456317 Club, upholding the original order over the new ridiculous chronological order.
You may notice that the movies will be produced in the original publication order as well.
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Return to Questions & Answers