This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Looking for Lewis Analogy Quote

Looking for Lewis Analogy Quote

Postby kshaheen » 30 Jun 2006, 16:49

I am looking for a quote by Lewis concerning man settling for living in a swamp while God has invited him to live in a resort. Sorry this is not more specific. If you would be able to tell me which book it is in or if you know where it is in the book, that would be REALLY great! Thank you for any direction you can give me.
kshaheen

Re: Looking for Lewis Analogy Quote

Postby Karen » 30 Jun 2006, 16:55

Perhaps you're thinking of this, from his essay The Weight of Glory?

If there lurks in most modern minds the notion that to desire our own good and earnestly to hope for the enjoyment of it is a bad thing, I submit that this notion crept in from Kant and the Stoics and is no part of the Christian faith. Indeed, if we consider the unblushing promises of reward and the staggering nature of the rewards promised in the Gospels, it would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

re: Looking for Lewis Analogy Quote

Postby kshaheen » 30 Jun 2006, 17:06

Karen, THANK YOU THANK YOU That is exactly the right quote! You are good.
kshaheen

Return to Questions & Answers