This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Surprised By Joy quote

Surprised By Joy quote

Postby Nightmare9870 » 09 Aug 2006, 02:13

Hello everyone. Sorry I haven't taken the time to register yet but I'm in a bit of a rush :).

I'm looking for a quote from Surprised By Joy. I seem to recall that it was in the second to last chapter and was something similar to "The harshness of God is softer than the kindness of men."

The only problem is Amazon hasn't returned any results and I don't have a copy of the book with me. Could someone please post the quote if they have the time? Thanks!

I've been a C.S. Lewis fan for some time now and this site is right up my ally. I'll be sure to register sometime soon.
Nightmare9870

re: Surprised By Joy quote

Postby jo » 09 Aug 2006, 07:55

Hello! Just wanted to welcome you but unfortunately I don't have my copy of SBJ to hand. Someone is bound to know though! (my money is on it being Sven or Karen..).
"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

Wardrobe Wake
jo
Wardrobian

Re: re: Surprised By Joy quote

Postby Karen » 09 Aug 2006, 11:42

Happy to oblige. :smile: I'm posting the line in context, because it's so much more powerful that way:

You must picture me alone in that room in Magdalen, night after night, feeling, whenever my mind lifted even for a second from my work, the steady, unrelenting approach of Him whom I so earnestly desired not to meet. That which I greatly feared had at last come upon me. In the Trinity Term of 1929 I gave in, and admitted that God was God, and knelt and prayed: perhaps, that night, the most dejected and reluctant convert in all England. I did not then see what is now the most shining and obvious thing: the Divine humility which will accept a convert even on such terms. The Prodigal Son at least walked home on his own feet. But who can duly adore that Love which will open the high gates to a prodigal who is brought in kicking, struggling, resentful, and darting his eyes in every direction for a chance of escape? The words compelle intrare, compel them to come in, have been so abused by wicked men that we shudder at them; but, properly understood, they plumb the depth of the Divine mercy. The hardness of God is kinder than the softness of men, and His compulsion is our liberation.
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Nightmare9870 » 09 Aug 2006, 13:45

Such a fantastic section! Thank you so much, Karen. And thank you for the welcome, jo.

Take care.
Nightmare9870

Postby wingedllama » 09 Aug 2006, 22:14

Nightmare, do register please. The more the merrier.
Member of the 2456317 Club
wingedllama
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » 10 Aug 2006, 01:00

wingedllama wrote:Nightmare, do register please. The more the merrier.

All set!

Postby Nightmare9870 » 10 Aug 2006, 01:02

Anonymous wrote:
wingedllama wrote:Nightmare, do register please. The more the merrier.

All set!

Oops, silly me. Forgot to sign in. :blush:
Nightmare9870

Postby wingedllama » 10 Aug 2006, 03:26

Ah, you did register! Do feel free to poke your head into the Getting to Know You forum and announce your presence in the Introductions thread (if you want). Whether you do, or no welcome to the 'drobe.
Member of the 2456317 Club
wingedllama
Wardrobian

Return to Questions & Answers