This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Quote source

Quote source

Postby Fr. Norm+ » August 22nd, 2006, 5:19 pm

Fr. Norm+

re: Quote source

Postby A#minor » August 22nd, 2006, 7:03 pm

That reminds me of a passage in Screwtape Letters that goes...

"He had no faintest conception till that very hour of how they would look, and even doubted their existence. But when he saw them he knew that he had always known them and realised what part each one of them had played at many an hour in his life when he had supposed himself alone, so that now he could say to them, one by one, not "Who are you?", but "So it was you all the time."
The dim consciousness of friends about him which had haunted his solitudes from infancy was now at last explained; that central music in every pure experience which had always just evaded memory was now at last recovered.
He saw not only them, the angels; but Him. Cool light to him and clarity itself."

Is that it?
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Re: Quote source

Postby Karen » August 22nd, 2006, 7:38 pm

As written, the quote is certainly not by Lewis. It's far too mushy, for lack of a better term - it sounds like a bad Hollywood movie. I think A#minor has it right, and the quote is a very bad paraphrase of that passage from Screwtape. But perhaps Sven knows an even closer parallel.
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Return to Questions & Answers