This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Quote about Lewis

Quote about Lewis

Postby eremite » 11 Sep 2004, 21:35

Some time ago I heard that D.L. Moody(?) once visited C.S. Lewis and upon his return had this to say about the man:

"He smokes, he drinks and he swears. Yet I believe the man is a Christian."

Now, I'm sure i've got the wrong person speaking (Moody) and I'm sure I've completley slaughtered the actual quote. But can anyone set me straight?

-eremite
eremite

Re: Quote about Lewis

Postby Karen » 11 Sep 2004, 22:00

It was apparently Bob Jones, not Moody. Here's what I found on the web, from an article in The Nation about CSL:

The evangelist Bob Jones Jr., after visiting Lewis at Oxford, was aghast. "That man smokes a pipe, and that man drinks liquor," he exclaimed, "but I do believe he is a Christian!"

(from http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=19990201&c=2&s=gross)
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby eremite » 12 Sep 2004, 22:55

Karen, you are wonderful! Thank you so much!
eremite

Postby Karen » 12 Sep 2004, 23:24

Don't thank me, thank Google. :)
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby eremite » 13 Sep 2004, 00:27

Well, you're a bettere google-er than I. My search turned up only mounds of stuff that didn't help one bit. (Or maybe I just didn't have the patience to wade through it all...)

Nonetheless - I bow to your google-ability and thank you again.
eremite

Return to Questions & Answers