This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Philosophy paper

Philosophy paper

Postby Dawn » October 12th, 2006, 4:14 pm

I am working on a Philosophy paper. I chose The Chronicles of Narnia as my topic. I'm still in the information gathering phase, taking notes and trying to figure out how to organize it. I felt the movie was hollow (the paper is supposed to be on a movie) and I have permission to do a more compare and contrast type paper to the book(s) and the movie.

I plan to focus on Aslan and the Witch and the philosophical questions posed by their roles. The questions I feel they pose are: human creation, meaning of life, faith, time perceptions, meaning of life/human creation as the purpose of religion, the problem of evil, etc...

Would anyone care to help focus me and give their thoughts? I guess my main problem is organization and what the point will be... I have done some research on lion symbolism and it's quite obvious why a lion was chosen to be the creator/savior for the books/movie...
Dawn

Re: Philosophy paper

Postby Stanley Anderson » October 12th, 2006, 5:39 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

re: Philosophy paper

Postby Dawn » October 16th, 2006, 4:57 pm

Dawn

THE PAPER!!!

Postby Dawn » November 14th, 2006, 11:09 pm

Dawn

Postby Dawn » November 14th, 2006, 11:09 pm

Dawn

Postby carol » November 15th, 2006, 9:19 am

Hi Dawn. Lots of interesting ideas in your writing.

Can I point out a couple of errors, and then add a few comments?

Edmund is spelled with a "u" not "o", and the prequel is called "The Magician's Nephew" - not "Witch's".

Jadis' wickedness is not merely the fact that she is not Aslan, but that her idea of ruling is about dominating others for the sake of power, not taking care of them for the sake of their good. She used her control to keep the country in winter for 100 years, which meant no food grown, none of the normal cycle of seasons that show lifecycles and growth, none of the healthy input of sunlight and warmth, a general deadness and unproductivity all round.

The Greek writer who the Professor himself refers to is Plato, not Aristotle, although I haven't studied either for a long time so you may be correct in attributing this particular piece of logic to Plato.

EDIT: Oops, I meant to say "to Aristotle".

I like your image of the hammer and nails, and your neologism "Aslanity".
Best wishes!
Last edited by carol on November 16th, 2006, 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
carol
Wardrobian

Postby Dawn » November 15th, 2006, 6:37 pm

Dawn

Postby Sarah N. » November 17th, 2006, 7:41 pm

Live in the world as if only God and your soul were in it; then your heart will never be made captive by any earthly thing. ~ St. John of the Cross

Member of the 2456317 Club.
Sarah N.
Wardrobian

Return to Questions & Answers