This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

The "Golden Valley" -- Herefordshire County

The "Golden Valley" -- Herefordshire County

Postby dknochen » 31 Oct 2006, 04:09

A scenic picture of "The Golden Valley" hung on the nursery wall and is referred to in the Shadowlands movie (Hopkins and Winger) made in 1993, directed by Attenborough. Is there a print of this scene that I may purchase?
dknochen

Postby john » 31 Oct 2006, 08:15

Hello, dknochen. That's a pretty tall order, and it's rather doubtful that anybody here would have the answer. When it comes to C. S. Lewis, we're much more bookish than cinematic.

Of course...somebody here may surprise us both. :wink:
john (aka DrZeus)
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » 31 Oct 2006, 13:06

I may be naive, but I assumed that the painting was a prop specially made for the film.

Have you thought of contacting an art dealer in that area, perhaps? Or a local history or tourist association might know where you could find something similar.
"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » 01 Nov 2006, 00:27

Here are a few photos of the Golden Valley, including one of haymaking back in the day. It certainly is beautiful there.

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Painting in the Nursery -- Golden Valley

Postby dknochen » 02 Nov 2006, 04:28

Thanks for the photos and advice. You are probably right about it being a "prop" for the movie.
dknochen

The Golden Valley

Postby captainhaddock » 14 Nov 2006, 14:16

My Mum lives there! I can testify to the fact that it is very beautiful. Theres a place there called Abbey Dore which is an old house and garden open to the public and when I was little I used to play on the hay bales with the children who lived there. They had a pet ferret. Its still there but the children have gone. It really is a special place.
"though Puddleglum...often pointed out that bright mornings brought on wet afternoons, and that you couldn't expect good times to last."
captainhaddock
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » 14 Nov 2006, 23:04

Wow, that's cool!
Um, except for the ferret. Eeewww.
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Re: The Golden Valley

Postby a_hnau » 26 Nov 2006, 19:41

captainhaddock wrote:My Mum lives there!

My wife and I also both love the Golden Valley - our annual holiday for a number of years now has been to Hay-on-Wye (for the books!) and we always make a point of driving down the Valley at least once. We visited the Abbey this year, they're doing a lot of well-deserved renovation work.

We also each year go to Symond's Yat, the view from the top of Yat Rock is probably (along with the Valley, especially as idealised in the painting in Shadowlands) my favourite in all England.
Urendi Maleldil
a_hnau
Wardrobian

Postby Bill » 26 Nov 2006, 22:34

The View from Symonds Yat Rock:-

Bill
Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » 27 Nov 2006, 01:18

Bill, I was just looking at an almost identical pic, taken on our visit in 1988. And I have just compared it to the view that Jack and Joy stop at in the film, and it is indeed the same. It's actually the River Wye that they are looking at, not the Dore.

There is another splendid view near Goodrich Castle, where the spire of the church in Ross-on-Wye rises above the river, meadows, and woods. We saw that on a lovely May evening, and it has stayed with me as the most heavenly sight I have ever seen.
"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby a_hnau » 27 Nov 2006, 07:20

Bill wrote:The View from Symonds Yat Rock:-
Bill

Aahhhh.... That sets me up nicely for a dark drizzly Monday morning!
Urendi Maleldil
a_hnau
Wardrobian

Golden Valley

Postby Guest » 29 Mar 2007, 12:49

Hi everyone I've just come across this site whilst searching for maps in the Golden Valley.

My husband and I live in Dorstone which is towards the top of the Valley and have done for 12 years I and my children of which some were born, here love it and would now live no where else, it is my haven and sanity in this crazy world........................

The picture you are looking for could be from any number of places in this area, one very simular is right outside our bedroom window and also at the other end of our garden which bounds the Dore, if the picture takes your heart strings you really ought to come visit.

Postby A#minor » 29 Mar 2007, 13:38

That's wonderful, Guest! Wish I could live somewhere as beautiful!
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby texascat » 30 May 2007, 18:24

I don't know if this helps, but I read that the scene where Lewis takes Joy to the Golden Valley was shot at the River Wye near Goodrich. Coming from Texas, I'm not familiar with that beautiful part of the world. When I think of Hertfordshire, I think of Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen.
texascat
Wardrobian

Postby Bill » 30 May 2007, 20:03

texascat wrote:I don't know if this helps, but I read that the scene where Lewis takes Joy to the Golden Valley was shot at the River Wye near Goodrich. Coming from Texas, I'm not familiar with that beautiful part of the world. When I think of Hertfordshire, I think of Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen.

The Golden Valley is actually in Herefordshire not Hertfordshire .

:wink:

Bill
Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

Next

Return to Questions & Answers