This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Quote context?

Quote context?

Postby VixenMage » 03 Nov 2006, 01:32

I somehow wound up with this C. S. Lewis quote on my signature, but am not quite sure where it came from.

He that looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it, hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart.

Does anyone know what the context is?

Thanks!
"The only thing I know for certain is that I know nothing for certain."
VixenMage
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » 03 Nov 2006, 15:00

It's a spoof on Jesus' words that if 'a man hath looked on a woman to lust after her, he hath already committed adultery with her in his heart.'

What do they teach them at these schools? It's all in the Bible. :wink:
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » 03 Nov 2006, 20:14

It wasn't used to illustrate anything serious. Here's the whole paragraph it was in:

C. S. Lewis wrote:I too had mumps after I was grown up. I didn't mind it as long as I had the temperature: but when one came to convalescence and a convalescent appetite and even thinking of food started the salivation and the pain--ugh! I never realised "the disobedience in our members" so clearly before. Verily "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it, hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart" (or in his glands).

Letters to American Lady, March 10 1954
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven
Wardrobian

Postby VixenMage » 03 Nov 2006, 21:16

Alrighty, thanks. (Oi, A#, I knew -that- bit! Not from school, but still...!)

Wow, he really did have trouble with his digestion, I guess. That's too bad, it sounds really painful.

Thanks, Sven!
"The only thing I know for certain is that I know nothing for certain."
VixenMage
Wardrobian

Postby loeee » 03 Nov 2006, 21:44

VM, it wasn't a digestive problem, it was just while he was convalescing from the mumps.
"You can't go walking through Mordor in naught but your skin."
Put on the full armor of God.
loeee
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » 03 Nov 2006, 21:55

VixenMage wrote:Alrighty, thanks. (Oi, A#, I knew -that- bit! Not from school, but still...!)

Oh, sorry. *sheepish* :blush:
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby VM » 04 Nov 2006, 00:42

Heh, don't sweat it. It's not like they actually do teach us anything useful in school... so you were right. ^^
VM

Return to Questions & Answers