This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

C. S. Lewis' influences

C. S. Lewis' influences

Postby 09ahende » December 8th, 2006, 5:47 pm

i am currently writing a paper on C. S. Lewis. I am trying to prove that his works were greatly affected by the environment he grew up in. i am thinking that when he wrote the The chronicles of narnia, he was creating an alternate reality that was going through a war, like World War I. Am i alone in this assumption? Are there any sources that support me? please respond if you have any info or sources. Any thing would help
09ahende

Postby Sven » December 8th, 2006, 8:20 pm

Welcome, 09ahende!

Sorry, but I think you're on the wrong track. The movie version gives a mild impression that there a thematic link between the events in the first of the Narnia books and the World War, but that isn't the sort of thing Lewis was trying to accomplish. The most accessible source for his intentions for you would be his essay 'On Three Ways of Writing for Children', which is collected in the books Of Other Worlds, or Of This and Other Worlds, or On Stories. There is also some helpful things in his letters. If you are in United Kingdom you may have access to volume 3 of the Collected Letters where you can find something of aid via the Index. Unfortunately, if you are in the US, volume 3 has not been released here yet.

Hope this helps.

Selah,
Sven
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby carol » December 9th, 2006, 10:37 am

carol
Wardrobian

happiness

Postby samcat » January 10th, 2007, 9:59 pm

samcat

samcat;

Postby Tess Ph.D » January 10th, 2007, 10:02 pm

Tess Ph.D

Re: happiness

Postby john » January 10th, 2007, 10:08 pm