This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

another quote question

another quote question

Postby A#minor » 23 Feb 2007, 14:53

It was when I was happiest that I longed most...The sweetest thing in all my life has been the longing...to find the place where all the beauty came from.

Can someone tell me where this quote is from? It was in the featured quote thing on the main page. Many thanks.
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby loeee » 23 Feb 2007, 21:20

I'm pretty sure that is from Surprised by Joy.
"You can't go walking through Mordor in naught but your skin."
Put on the full armor of God.
loeee
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » 23 Feb 2007, 21:50

C. S. Lewis wrote:"I have always-at least, ever since I can remember-had a longing for death."

"Ah, Psyche," I (Orual) said, "have I made you so little happy as that?"

"No, no, no," she said. "You don't understand. Not that kind of longing. It was when I was happiest that I longed most. It was on happy days, when we were up there on the hills, the three of us, with the wind and the sunshine...where you couldn't see Glome or the palace. Do you remember? The colour and the smell, and looking across at the Grey Mountain in the distance? And because it was so beautiful, it set me longing, always longing. Everything seemed to be saying, Psyche come! But I couldn't (not yet) come and I didn't know where I was to come to. It almost hurt me. I felt like a bird in a cage when the other birds of its kind are flying home."

(skipping 2 1/2 paragraphs)

"...The sweetest thing in my life has been the longing-to reach the Mountain, to find the place where all the beauty came from--"

"And that was the sweetest? Oh, cruel, cruel. Your hear is not of iron; stone, rather," I sobbed. I don't that she even heard me.

"--my country, the place where I ought to have been born. Do you think it all meant nothing, all the longing? The longing for home?..."

Till We Have Faces
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » 24 Feb 2007, 00:04

Thanks, Sven!
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby loeee » 28 Feb 2007, 01:00

Sven always knows! (The Shadow is a close relative)
"You can't go walking through Mordor in naught but your skin."
Put on the full armor of God.
loeee
Wardrobian

Return to Questions & Answers