This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

The meaning of Aslan

The meaning of Aslan

Postby ArdenZ » March 3rd, 2007, 4:38 pm

I heard somewhere that Aslan means "lion" in Turkish. I decided to use that [fact?] for a speech I will be giving on Tuesday about the characters and races of Narnia. I looked in my trusty (and very neat and insightful) "Companion to Narnia", which is sort of like a Narnian encyclopedia, but I cannot find it anywhere in the book. Can anyone else tell me if this is true, and, if so, give me a credible source to which I can cite it?

Thanks!
"The master of that servant will come on the day when he is not looking for him, and at an hour that he is not aware of."
Matthew 24:50
ArdenZ
Wardrobian

Postby john » March 3rd, 2007, 4:45 pm

Do you consider Wikipedia credible?

"Aslan is a Turkish word meaning Lion. [C. S. Lewis] came up with the name when [he] was on a trip to the Ottoman empire (modern-day Turkey), where he was impressed with the Sultan's elite guards also called Aslan because of their bravery and loyalty."
john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby ArdenZ » March 3rd, 2007, 4:48 pm

I've heard that Wikipedia is credible 90 percent of the time, but my instructor won't allow us to cite it.
"The master of that servant will come on the day when he is not looking for him, and at an hour that he is not aware of."
ArdenZ
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » March 3rd, 2007, 6:14 pm

From that entry, I don't consider it reliable :lol:

Lewis never went to the Ottoman Empire (which ceased to exist when he was 24).

'Aslan' is a slightly archaic version of the modern Turkish word for lion, which transliterates into English as arslan. When I say slightly archaic, I'm told it sounds, in Turkish, somewhat the way the King James Bible sounds in English. Lewis found the word in a footnote in Edward Lane's translation of, and commentary on, The Thousand and One Nights: Commonly Called, in England, The Arabian Nights' Entertainments. This book is available currently in an two volume abridged edition. The edition Lewis read it in was volume 16 of the series Harvard Classics (1909).
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby john » March 3rd, 2007, 6:18 pm

john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby Sven » March 3rd, 2007, 8:04 pm

Took me a while to find a citation. Obviously, I had read it somewhere, but I couldn't remember where, and you said it wasn't in Ford's Companion to Narnia.

Well, it's in Ford's Companion to Narnia, :grin: , the entry for 'Aslan's Name', note 2. The additional info I provided I don't have a citation for. The edition being the Harvard Classic I got from one of Lewis' letters (I think, I bought a copy right after reading that detail), and it being an archaic word came from a Turkish member of the Wardrobe back in the days of threaded forums.
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby ArdenZ » March 3rd, 2007, 9:05 pm

Oh! I can't believe I didn't see it! :blush:

Thanks, Sven!
ArdenZ
Wardrobian

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » March 14th, 2007, 1:08 pm

"Aslan is a Turkish word meaning Lion. [C. S. Lewis] came up with the name when [he] was on a trip to the Ottoman empire (modern-day Turkey), where he was impressed with the Sultan's elite guards also called Aslan because of their bravery and loyalty."

Gosh! Who comes up with this clap-trap? :lol:

Member of The 2456317 Club
Warrior 4 Jesus
Wardrobian

Postby The Bigsleep J » March 14th, 2007, 1:12 pm

Insert supposedly witty but random absurd comment here and add water
The Bigsleep J
Wardrobian

Postby Bill » March 14th, 2007, 7:29 pm

Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian