This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

lifestyle question

lifestyle question

Postby bcarnduff » 18 Apr 2007, 05:03

Hello. This has been something posed to me many times when I say CS Lewis is my favourite author. I was wondering if it was true. (I don't think it is, but I definitely cound be wrong).

Was CS Lewis an opium addict?!
bcarnduff

Postby Leslie » 18 Apr 2007, 13:59

No, he wasn't. The next time someone suggests this, ask them where they got such a ridiculous idea. The onus is on them to prove the allegation.
"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » 18 Apr 2007, 14:16

Leslie wrote:No, he wasn't. The next time someone suggests this, ask them where they got such a ridiculous idea.

They were probably confused by the fact that C.S.Lewis solved murder mysteries with his sidekick Dr. Warren in the streets of London and so mixed him up with another famous opium addict. (By the way, some of his most famous solved mysteries were The Sign of the Four Loves, A Study in Medeival and Renaissance Scarlet Literature, and The Sound of Thulcandra-villians)

--Stanley
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » 18 Apr 2007, 14:44

(My wife Angelee suggests that the confusion may be with Coleridge who was an opium addict -- there were some other addicted authors too).

--Stanley
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby loeee » 18 Apr 2007, 17:24

I think I have also heard that charge made against Lewis Carroll. I have noticed that some people, for whatever reason, confuse Lewis Carroll with C.S. Lewis.

(I'm not sure I believe it about Lewis Carroll, either, but it definitely is not true of C.S. Lewis.)
"You can't go walking through Mordor in naught but your skin."
Put on the full armor of God.
loeee
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » 18 Apr 2007, 17:42

loeee wrote:I think I have also heard that charge made against Lewis Carroll. I have noticed that some people, for whatever reason, confuse Lewis Carroll with C.S. Lewis.

"for whatever reason"? Do you suppose the "Lewis" and the initial "C" could have anything to do with it?:-)

Actually, the confused question most often posted here in connection with Lewis Carroll is whether C.S.Lewis photographed little girls.

--Stanley
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Pine_Tree » 18 Apr 2007, 17:48

Stanley,

To be entirely accurate, I do not believe it's true that Holmes was demonstrably an opium (cocaine, specifically) addict on a regular basis. It seems more accurate to state that his documented cocaine use seems consistent with the bouts of depression/malaise that Watson (Warren???? where'd that come from) recorded.

Also, the cocaine solution that he used (from the local apothecary) was of a strength that would induce a stupor like a mild drunkenness. Quite different from the powder/crack cocaine typical today. Anyway, it doesn't seem to have hurt his abilities one bit, does it?

Pine
Pine_Tree
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » 18 Apr 2007, 18:03

Pine_Tree wrote:(Warren???? where'd that come from)

Warren was C.S.Lewis' brother. I wonder if you might have missed a certain quality about my post (did the book titles seem a bit different from what you remember of Holmes' adventures, for instance?)

--Stanley
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Pine_Tree » 18 Apr 2007, 18:37

Woops.

Sorrysorrysorrysorrysorry. I actually did stop reading at the open parenthesis, so I only glanced at the titles. Guess I blew it.

Pine
Pine_Tree
Wardrobian

Return to Questions & Answers