This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Recommendations on what to read next

Recommendations on what to read next

Postby Guest » 30 May 2007, 06:22

I'm still waiting on my activation e-mail to register to this forum, but since I am an impatient person, I thought I'd post here. :blush:

I am a huge fan of the Chronicles of Narnia (my faves are MN, HHB, & LB). I have also read three of four biographies about C.S. Lewis. I am ready to dive headfirst into the world and works of good ole Jack, but I don't know what to read next. There are so many good ones to choose from.

I am open to recommendations. If you don't mind, please include what you love about Jack's other works, but NO spoilers please! :smile:

Correction

Postby Guest » 30 May 2007, 06:24

Arg! Pardon my mistake. I meant to say, "I have read three OR four biographies" NOT "three OF four biographies." lol. :toothy-grin:

Postby loeee » 30 May 2007, 18:11

You didn't give any clues about your tastes, or even your age.

If you would like to read more fiction, my personal favorite is "Til We Have Faces" or you might enjoy his science fiction trilogy: "Out of the Silent Planet", "Perelandra", and "That Hideous Strength."

Jack's nonfiction is quite varied, and all good. My personal favorite is "Mere Christianity" because it organizes and explains basic Christian doctrine so well. If you are not a Christian, this one might not appeal to you (or it might).
"You can't go walking through Mordor in naught but your skin."
Put on the full armor of God.
loeee
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » 31 May 2007, 02:41

Mere Christianity is definitely the one with which to start.
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby john » 31 May 2007, 02:45

A#minor wrote:Mere Christianity is definitely the one with which to start.

Oh, pshaw! Till We Have Faces is absolutely the next on the list. I thought everybody knew that! :thumbsup:
john (aka DrZeus)
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby carol » 31 May 2007, 10:42

You may like to read Lewis' own description of his life up until his conversion - "Surprised by Joy".

Other than that, he wrote several popular theology books that are in fictional form, but serious underneath - The Great Divorce, The Screwtape Letters, ...

The Space Trilogy is definitely worth reading - beginning with Out of the Silent Planet.

Welcome to the Wardrobe, by the way!
carol
Wardrobian

Other sugestions

Postby Friend » 12 Jul 2007, 20:14

There are two books which I enjoyed very much of Lewis. They are "The Four Loves" and "The problem of pain". I find not many recommend those books, I don´t know if they didn´t like them or have not read them but for me they are very important to understand Lewis thought and their are between my own favorites. I strongly recommend them.
Friend
Wardrobian

Return to Questions & Answers