This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Witchcraft in Narnia

Witchcraft in Narnia

Postby none » June 3rd, 2007, 5:08 am

No, sadly I am not talking about the white or green variety.

I was doing some research on Wicca last year, investigating some claims against Harry Potter, when I noticed something considered important in their rituals; four colors (conflicting reports as to which are dominate), elements (Air, Fire, Earth and Water) and directions (North, South, East and West), used to call on the ruling "angles"/guardians/(demons). Leaving out my reaction for now, let’s just say I immediately thought of the coronation scene in the new Narnia movie:

[Aslan speaking as they are crowned-] “To the glistening eastern sea, I give you Queen Lucy the Valiant. To the great western woods, King Edmund the Just. To the radiant southern sun, Queen Susan the Gentle. And to the clear northern skies, King Peter the Magnificent.”

Now throw out that the children are (arguably,) each wearing colors that are important, and that colors, directions and elements are mixed up and disguised (there are also internal arguments about the combination).

The blunt fact is that in the book, the children were crowned in the name of Aslan’s father, the Emperor over the Sea (God). So no matter how delusional I might be, you have to admit it is an extraordinary coincidence. If intentional, this means Narnia’s religious focus was subtly and deliberately transferred from Christianity, to witchcraft/nature worship, with Christ/Aslan subservient to his own creation.

I was freaked.

I suppose in the end my question is really a plea: please tell me I’m not the only one disturbed by this. I have no idea how you guys will react, and that’s why I didn’t join the site to say this. If it will help any, look up 'watchtower (magic)' on the wikipedia.

The witch is dead! Long live . . . oh crap.
none

Postby carol » June 3rd, 2007, 10:47 am

It most certainly has not been changed. But you are not the only person who has been concerned.

We know from reports on Narniaweb that there was originally a set of lines that made it seem as if there were some sort of pantheistic element involved. After concern from people watching a sort of pre-release early version, this was changed, so that what we have is the four children being made responsible for all parts of Narnia - not that they are dedicated to its supernatural demigod characters. We also heard that Douglas Gresham did not approve the earlier version; as the guardian of the integrity of the books, and as a major co-producer, he is keeping a careful watch on the filming.

Please be reassured!
carol
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » June 3rd, 2007, 7:27 pm

I agree with carol that the children are being made responsible for the safekeeping of all the borders of Narnia. It's merely a poetic embellishment to symbolize the extent of their rule.

It's also somewhat of a prophecy of their coming adventures since Peter is the one who leads the war against the giants in the North, Susan travels South considering marriage with that nasty Rabadash, Lucy goes to the Eastern edge of the world, and Edmund... hmmmm... what does Edmund do in the West?
That's where my theory of literary prophecy falls apart. :tongue:
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » June 4th, 2007, 9:29 pm

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Return to Questions & Answers