This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Question about Eldilla/Valar

Question about Eldilla/Valar

Postby Guest » July 15th, 2007, 7:03 pm

Hey guys! I'm a huge Lewis,Tolkein, and Chesterton fan, so this site is really exiting for me.
The thing I wanted to ask your opinion about is this- both in the Space Trilogy and in the Simirallion is the idea that angels are sub-creators, or demi-gods. In the S. the Valar created Middle Earth, and in the S.T. they are each assigned a planet, and they have powers over the inhabitants there. I'm aware that the Valar had "the Flame Imperishable" (the Holy Spirit) and that there's a huge emphasis on God's greatness at the end of Perelandra, but just the thought of angels creating the world set off some red flags in my head. What are your opinions on this? Have I misinterpreted?
And thanks for opening up a questions thread to non members-I really appreciate this!
-Elisabeth

Postby Sven » July 15th, 2007, 7:57 pm

Welcome, Elisabeth!

I can't speak to Tolkien's work, but the Eldilla in the Space Trilogy didn't create the worlds. They are an interface of sorts between Maleldil and the hnau.

I think you may be misunderstanding the concept of 'sub-creation', it refers to the creation of worlds of the imagination, not physical worlds. You might want to read Dorothy Sayers' The Mind of the Maker for more information.

If you'd like a prolonged discussion of this, by the way, you will need to register. Any threads in the Questions forum that get heavy participation get moved to the appropriate forum.
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby A#minor » July 15th, 2007, 8:21 pm

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Return to Questions & Answers