This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Questions about The Screwtape Letters

Questions about The Screwtape Letters

Postby Paul F. Ford » July 21st, 2007, 3:19 pm

Between 1981 and 1987 I did my research for my dissertation, "C. S. Lewis: Ecumenical Spiritual Director: A Study of His Experience and Theology of Prayer and Discernment in the Process of Becoming a Self," Fuller Theological Seminary (Pasadena, California), 1987, Ph.D. in theology.

I collected binders full of notes, particularly on The Screwtape Letters.

Now I get a chance to prepare to publish an annotated version of The Screwtape Letters.

I wonder if some of you in the Into the Wardrobe Forum would care to share your questions about the meaning of individual letters and/or passages in individual letters, as well as questions about themes the letters address. Has there been a discussion of The Screwtape Letters in the past?

Forgive me in advance if this is an improper question. I am not asking to 'use' the forum but to be informed by SL questions and concerns from Forum members.

Gratefully,
Paul
Paul Ford—self-appointed president of the "245-3617 Club" and proud member of the "245-6317 Club"; author of the Companion to Narnia and the Pocket Companion to Narnia.
Paul F. Ford
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » July 21st, 2007, 4:55 pm

Sounds like a great project, Paul. Might I suggest you start a duplicate thread in the Apologetics forum? Normally we discourage duplicate threads, but one copy here in 'Got Questions' would draw the most input from our casual visitors, and I think one over in Apologetics would draw the most from our regular members.
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Re: Questions about The Screwtape Letters

Postby moordarjeeling » July 21st, 2007, 6:41 pm

moordarjeeling
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » July 21st, 2007, 10:25 pm

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby Stanley Anderson » July 22nd, 2007, 1:28 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Annotated Screwtape

Postby Van McCalister » August 31st, 2007, 6:40 pm

Van McCalister

Return to Questions & Answers