This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

cannot find a Lewis story

cannot find a Lewis story

Postby Guest » 10 Oct 2004, 16:41

I once ran across a story (may not be big enough to be called that) by Lewis, in which he used a sight/blindness metaphor to describe the slow moral degeneration of a community of people. At first everyone could "see" moral truths, then some began at first to question this, then challenge it, then deny it to the point that the people in the community to a great extent lost the ability to see them at all - they became blind to them. Does anyone know where I can find this little "story"? Thanks!!

The Country of the Blind

Postby Sven » 10 Oct 2004, 18:19

Hi, aloysha,
The title of the poem is 'The Country of the Blind'. You can find it in The Collected Poems of C. S. Lewis edited by Walter Hooper. I won't type all of it, partly because of copyright issues, partly because it would be a pain. Here's how it starts, though:
C. S. Lewis wrote:Hard light bathed them-a whole nation of eyeless men,
Dark bipeds not aware how they were maimed. A long
Process, clearly, a slow curse,
Drained through centuries, left them thus.

Hope this helps.

Selah,
Sven
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven
Wardrobian

Re: The Country of the Blind

Postby Guest » 14 Oct 2004, 01:31

That's what I needed to know. Muchas gracias.

Return to Questions & Answers