This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

C.S. Lewis & Evangelicals

C.S. Lewis & Evangelicals

Postby spirit7 » March 8th, 2008, 1:21 pm

Is there any indication what Lewis would think about bible fellowships such as Calvary Chapel (dates from the 1960's California, Chuck Smith, etc.) I know he was very orthodox. Where would I look in his writings? Thank you for suggestions.
spirit7

Postby Sven » March 8th, 2008, 2:13 pm

Welcome, Spirit7!

Lewis tried not to discuss specific denominations, or even specific theological traditions. Instead he focused on the things that nearly all Christians hold in common, mere Christianity. Many evangelicals certainly look to Lewis as an inspiration, witness the Wade Center at Wheaton College as a leading center of Lewis study in the U.S.

Of course, there is an enormous range of folks that identify with Lewis to the point of thinking of him as 'one of our own', from the Latter Day Saints to the Roman Catholics.

You might try reading his book Reflections on the Psalms, especially the next to last chapter, 'Scripture'.
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Return to Questions & Answers