This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

where can I find this quote?

where can I find this quote?

Postby mkmills » March 18th, 2008, 9:44 pm

Hello All,

I ran across a quote (online) attributed to C. S. Lewis and am hoping someone can point me to the source. It does have the feel or “fingerprint” of something Lewis might have said, but before I use it in my own writings, I’d like to (1) know that he indeed was the author and (2) where it can be found. (If you know the section of the book that would be even more helpful!) Here's the quote:

“If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth, only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair.”

Thank You very much for any help you can offer!

Michael K Mills
mkmills

Postby john » March 18th, 2008, 9:49 pm

I can verify that it is, indeed from C. S. Lewis (from Mere Christianity, Book I: "Right and Wrong As a Clue to the Meaning of the Universe", Part V, "We Have Cause to Be Uneasy").

Here's a .
Last edited by john on March 18th, 2008, 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby Sven » March 18th, 2008, 9:57 pm

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby Guest » March 19th, 2008, 2:25 pm

Thank you, both! I've read Mere Christianity several times but didn't remember that quote being there. I appreciate your help very much!

Michael

Other quote

Postby Theanthonyzone » March 25th, 2008, 8:18 pm

Theanthonyzone

Return to Questions & Answers