This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Quote from the Great Divorce- I think the preface

Quote from the Great Divorce- I think the preface

Postby Jean » 21 May 2008, 21:24

There is a quote near the beginning of the Great Divorce where Lewis describes how goodness make things more different from all other things- that the more good something becomes the more different from other things it becomes. Does anyone have this quote?
Thanks very much.
Jean
Jean

Postby Sven » 21 May 2008, 21:33

Welcome, Jean!

It is indeed in the Preface.

C. S. Lewis wrote:We are not living in a world where all roads are radii of a circle and where all, if followed long enough, will therefore draw gradually nearer and finally meet at the centre: rather in a world where every road, after a few miles, forks into two, and each of those into two again, and at each fork you must make a decision. Even on the biological level life is not like a river but like a tree. It does not move towards unity but away from it and the creatures grow further apart as they increase in perfection. Good, as it ripens, becomes continually more different not only from evil but from other good.

I do not think that all who choose wrong roads perish; but their rescue consists in being put back on the right road. A sum can be put right: but only by going back till you find the error and working it afresh from that point, never by simply going on. Evil can be undone, but it cannot ‘develop’ into good. Time does not heal it.

The Great Divorce

Hope this helps.

Selah,
Sven
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven
Wardrobian

Postby Jean » 21 May 2008, 21:46

Thank you so much, Sven. It's just what I was looking for.
Best, Jean
Jean

Return to Questions & Answers