This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

value of a first edition copy

Postby laura » June 3rd, 2008, 5:55 pm

I regularly volunteer at our parish thrift shop. After each shift, I usually try to find a little something for each of my children. I have a couple of voracious readers, so always start in the book section, where hardcovers are $1.00. Spying an old copy of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, I picked it up. We already have a set, but I just love the feel, and the smell, and the sense of history one has in holding on old book, so I bought it.

Before purchasing it, I flipped to the front and noticed that it was a first edition. I'm an English major, and knew it had to be worth something, but I was absolutely astounded when I started to do some research online to determine its value.

I will be returning the profit to our parish, St. Jude the Apostle, and want to get the best price for it, but don't really know where to begin. Do you, or any of your cirlce, have an opinion on the best route I might take in this process? The paper book jacket is torn (completely, in three pieces, in fact), but the book itself is in excellent condition. It really looks like it has never been read -- what a shame!!

I would so appreciate your input and assistance!

Regards,
Laura
laura

Postby Karen » June 3rd, 2008, 6:43 pm

Laura, I'm in the rare book business, so I can give you some tips. First of all, when it comes to modern first editions, much of the value lies in the condition of the dust jacket. Keep the pieces, but don't try to tape them together or anything. Also, is it an American first edition or an English one? This will also affect the value. Can you tell me exactly what it says on the title page (publisher and date) as well as on the copyright page? And who did the illustrations?

Your best bet in getting the maximum price is to put it up for auction. Let me know where you're from (you can PM me if you don't want to post it) and I can point you to the best place.
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Laura » June 3rd, 2008, 8:16 pm

Laura

Postby Karen » June 3rd, 2008, 8:43 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Return to Questions & Answers