This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

what happened to the W.Witch?

what happened to the W.Witch?

Postby Shadowland Dweller » June 16th, 2008, 3:40 pm

Shadowland Dweller
Wardrobian

Re: what happened to the W.Witch?

Postby Stanley Anderson » June 16th, 2008, 4:14 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » June 16th, 2008, 7:08 pm

Another discrepancy betwixt book and film. If they had included "Aslan's Burp"*, it would have been clear to viewers what happened to the White Witch.

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby Shadowland Dweller » June 16th, 2008, 8:10 pm

sven, that is the only conclusion I could come to, but that was so .......(pardon the pun I guess) distasteful, I just thought maybe there was something I missed....ah well
Shadowland Dweller
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » June 17th, 2008, 1:57 am

The book says, :read:
"...the great beast [Aslan] flung himself upon the White Witch. Lucy saw her face... Then Lion and Witch had rolled over together but with the Witch underneath:..."
"...and when those who were still living saw that the Witch was dead they either gave themselves up or took flight."

So in neither book nor film is the actual killing seen or described, but is implied and understood to have happened.
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » June 17th, 2008, 2:17 am

Postby Pete » June 17th, 2008, 2:03 pm

Member of The 2456317 Club

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » June 17th, 2008, 2:36 pm

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby john » June 17th, 2008, 2:45 pm

john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » June 17th, 2008, 2:59 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby repectabiggle » June 17th, 2008, 3:25 pm

repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » June 18th, 2008, 7:45 am

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » June 18th, 2008, 2:13 pm

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby repectabiggle » June 18th, 2008, 2:26 pm

Great post, Stanley. I didn't know there was any serious debate about the White Witch and the Lady of the Green Kirtle. I won't drag all that up, then, by saying what I think about it, since it's no doubt stuff that's been rehashed ad nauseum long before I came around.

Enjoyed the stuff relating the witches to Lewis's other works. Lewis had a consistent vision if nothing else, eh?
repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » June 19th, 2008, 12:19 am

Pete
Wardrobian

Next

Return to Questions & Answers