This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Judas' betrayal

Judas' betrayal

Postby nomad » August 29th, 2005, 4:12 pm

OK, this is nowhere near as deep as most of the threads in this forum. But it's a little detail that nags at the back of my mind every time I get to the part of the Gospel where Judas betrays Jesus. What exactly was the nature of his betrayal? I mean, he identified Jesus with a kiss, right? But Jesus was a very public figure. The pharisees knew who he was. Jesus himself says that he was preaching in the temple every day and they could easily have apprehended him. If it were just a matter of knowing where Jesus was, I should think it would have been much cheaper to just have someone follow him. So why did they need one of the disciples? What information did Judas give them?

Anyone have any ideas?
member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby Solomons Song » August 29th, 2005, 4:29 pm

I suppose they wanted no doubt they wanted the right man. Also, it was prophesied that He'd be betrayed.

Think about it. A bunch of dirty men out in a garden in the middle of the night. All of them of middle-eastern descent. I think it'd be fairly easy to get the wrong guy relying on sight alone.
Member of the "2453617 Club"
Solomons Song
Wardrobian

Postby sehoy » August 30th, 2005, 7:02 am

Judas walked every day with Jesus but did not recognize that He was God. Or he did know He was God and he turned Him in anyway. He called Jesus a friend and kissed him on the cheek and then handed him over to the authorities.

I hope you were just joking around, Solomon's Song. Middle eastern men are very good at identifying amongst themselves. They most certainly would have noticed the Galileean accent.
cor meum vigilat
sehoy

Postby jo » August 30th, 2005, 9:19 am

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Alan » August 30th, 2005, 9:24 am

This product does not require batteries
Alan
Wardrobian

Postby jo » August 30th, 2005, 9:51 am

Well I don't mean to sound flip but couldn't they have gone up and said 'oi, which of you is Jesus of Nazareth'? Being God, He was hardly likely to point to Thomas or someone and say 'he is, officer!' and then leg it..
"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Robin » August 30th, 2005, 11:53 am

Robin
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » August 30th, 2005, 9:31 pm

member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy