This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Some thougts on Intelligent Design...

Postby sstanek14 » September 1st, 2005, 1:38 am

Just because you don't believe does not make it any less true.
sstanek14
Wardrobian

Postby Zan » September 1st, 2005, 3:32 am

I want to apologize off the bat because I didn't get to read through all of the responses. Unfortunately, my time is limited and I really wanted to respond.

I think you bring up some great points sstanek14. You asked, "can one be a scientist and a christian?" I personally, think it is necessary, and unavoidable. To be a christian, is to be a scientist. Now, I don't necessarily mean a scientist in the profession sense of the word. I am referring to that curiousity all scientists have. The one that makes them engage in such experiments. The scientists you are referring to have to deal with discovering the truth with regards to creation. To be a christian, I think one needs to find this truth as well...

Personally, I feel the Bible says all it needs to say on the subject. Evolution says nothing about the creation of the world. Even if correct, is a theory not of creation, but of, well, evolution. If we are decendents of apes, it says nothing more than that, nothing with regards to how these apes even came into being.

I have rejected the evolution theory. I believe there has always been something inheritently different about mankind, even during the stage of the cave man, which is a stage part of the evolution theory. There has always been something different. Mankind has two things in particular that distinguishes it from the animals, and that is, Reason and Imagination. To accurately explain our evolving from animals, one would have to explain the evolution of our mind. And I just don't see any evidence of that.

But, then again, here I go into things I don't need to. If you managed to read through this whole post, which I don't blame you for not doing so, I wish to just leave you with my thoughts that I think it is both possible and necessary to combine science and christianity.
Zan

"I believe in God like I believe in the sun, not because I can see it, but because of it all things are seen." -- C.S. Lewis

"... the more doors you go out of, the farther you get in!" -- George MacDonald, Lilith
Zan
Wardrobian

Postby tangent » September 1st, 2005, 9:00 am

tangent
Wardrobian

Postby robsia » September 1st, 2005, 10:33 am

robsia
Wardrobian

Postby jo » September 1st, 2005, 11:42 am

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Zan » September 1st, 2005, 3:32 pm

Zan

"I believe in God like I believe in the sun, not because I can see it, but because of it all things are seen." -- C.S. Lewis

"... the more doors you go out of, the farther you get in!" -- George MacDonald, Lilith
Zan
Wardrobian

Postby jo » September 1st, 2005, 3:37 pm

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby tangent » September 1st, 2005, 5:23 pm

tangent
Wardrobian

For a budding scientist...

Postby Genie » September 1st, 2005, 5:31 pm

Hello again, sstanek14:
This may not be relevant to this thread, but I feel so inspired by Nobel Peace Prize winner, Prof Sir Joseph Rotblat's life story, if you find time, you may read this report on him (since you are a budding scientist :) ):

Sir Joseph Rotblat was one of the scientists recruited to build the atomic bombs which ended World War II. He then spent the rest of his life campaigning against nuclear weapons - work which brought him the Nobel Peace Prize at the age of 86. Throughout his life, he believed scientists had a moral responsibility to save lives and not destroy them.
Best,
Genie
Totus tuus

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
Genie
Wardrobian

Postby kbrowne » September 1st, 2005, 6:16 pm

kbrowne
Wardrobian

What do I have to do with Curious George

Postby Genie » September 1st, 2005, 6:50 pm

Totus tuus

Genie
Wardrobian

Postby robsia » September 1st, 2005, 7:38 pm

robsia
Wardrobian

Postby robsia » September 1st, 2005, 7:44 pm

Where We Came From

1. Did we evolve from monkeys?

Humans did not evolve from monkeys. Humans are more closely related to modern apes than to monkeys, but we didn't evolve from apes, either. Humans share a common ancestor with modern African apes, like gorillas and chimpanzees. Scientists believe this common ancestor existed 5 to 8 million years ago. Shortly thereafter, the species diverged into two separate lineages. One of these lineages ultimately evolved into gorillas and chimps, and the other evolved into early human ancestors called hominids.

2. How did humans evolve?

Since the earliest hominid species diverged from the ancestor we share with modern African apes, 5 to 8 million years ago, there have been at least a dozen different species of these humanlike creatures. Many of these hominid species are close relatives, but not human ancestors. Most went extinct without giving rise to other species. Some of the extinct hominids known today, however, are almost certainly direct ancestors of Homo sapiens. While the total number of species that existed and the relationships among them is still unknown, the picture becomes clearer as new fossils are found. Humans evolved through the same biological processes that govern the evolution of all life on Earth. See "What is evolution?", "How does natural selection work?", and "How do organisms evolve?"

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/libra ... cat02.html
robsia
Wardrobian

See how far we have gone...

Postby Genie » September 1st, 2005, 8:30 pm

Totus tuus

Genie
Wardrobian

Postby HeartInkling » September 1st, 2005, 9:28 pm

Of course I've been too close to see, the answers right in front of me! ~~Jack Skellington

You will be a decided improvement over that treacherous Sally. We'll have conversations *worth* having. ~ Dr. Finklestein to his new creation after giving her part of his own brain.
HeartInkling
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy