This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Christianity puts God in a box, discuss

Postby Adam » September 19th, 2005, 6:15 am

"Love is the only art that poorly imitates nature."
Adam
Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » September 19th, 2005, 9:10 am

AllanS

Postby Achilles » September 19th, 2005, 9:36 pm

Hi Allan,

I think God, in that sense, allows for free will. But man's free will is corrupted, in that he will never choose what is righteous. "None is righteous, no, not one; no one understands; no one seeks for God."--Romans 3:10-11.
My personal story is very similar to the prodigal son. The experiences I had in the world showed me the falsity of it all. The love of God is then realized sometimes after much hardship. But, in the story, the father is always looking down the road, everyday, to see if his son is coming home--"But while he was still a long wy off, his father saw him and embraced him and kissed him." I look back and see that God was drawing me to Him, using the bad I had made and turning it to good--preparing my heart, in a sense. But this does not happen for everyone.

Not everyone is saved, that is obvious. But we must remember that God is righteous. He is just. It would go against his nature to overlook sin. By punishing sin, he is not being unrighteous.
His love is shown, in that mercy (salvation) is available through faith in Jesus Christ--believing that Jesus took the penulty for your sins. Once accepted, two things happen: All of your tresspasses are forgiven, and we are imputed the righteousness of Christ. So if they have rejected Mercy, they must then receive Justice.
The unexamine life is not worth living. -Socrates
Achilles
Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » September 20th, 2005, 12:18 pm

AllanS

Postby jo » September 20th, 2005, 12:40 pm

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby HeartInkling » September 20th, 2005, 2:10 pm

Of course I've been too close to see, the answers right in front of me! ~~Jack Skellington

You will be a decided improvement over that treacherous Sally. We'll have conversations *worth* having. ~ Dr. Finklestein to his new creation after giving her part of his own brain.
HeartInkling
Wardrobian

Postby robsia » September 20th, 2005, 4:10 pm

robsia
Wardrobian

Postby HeartInkling » September 20th, 2005, 4:38 pm

Of course I've been too close to see, the answers right in front of me! ~~Jack Skellington

You will be a decided improvement over that treacherous Sally. We'll have conversations *worth* having. ~ Dr. Finklestein to his new creation after giving her part of his own brain.
HeartInkling
Wardrobian

Postby Robin » September 20th, 2005, 4:46 pm

Robin
Wardrobian

Postby robsia » September 20th, 2005, 9:08 pm

robsia
Wardrobian

Postby Achilles » September 20th, 2005, 9:19 pm

Jesus' sacrifice was sufficient for all, but efficient for some--those that will be saved. The person must acknowledge this--Confess with your mouth Jesus is Lord, and Believe in your heart God raised Him from the dead.
Maybe you could point out to me where it says God is "punishing" Job, besides the words of his friends? The beginning starts with Satan wanting to tempt Job to curse God. So he hasn't exactly committed the sin. It is a test of faith.
Lot is also called righteous in the NT, even though he almost gave over his virgin daughters to the mob. He even commited an incestuous act.
They are not righteous because they committed no sins; they are righteous in that they Believed in the promise that God would send a Savior, Jesus Christ. Abraham is also given righteousness through faith, not his own personal merit (Read Romans chap.4). They too then are saved by faith through Grace. Even I am called righteous, though I still sin. But it is not my righteousness; it is the righteousness of Christ that was imputed to me the moment I believed. If you have not noticed yet, belief is the key--faith in Jesus Christ.
The thing is there are two things needed to be saved. Removal of sins and imputation of righteousness. If all that was necessary was the removal of sins, Jesus could of just came down fully grown and die on a cross, then leave. But this is not how it happened. He had to live a perfect life, which is impossible for us. So it is as if God said, you can't do it, so just believe that it was done for you, and that will suffice.
But then our lives testify to our faith. "If you love me, keep my commandments." So you can't just say, "I believe." "You will know them by their fruit."
The unexamine life is not worth living. -Socrates
Achilles
Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » September 20th, 2005, 9:26 pm

Hi Jo,

I think Jesus' death was an act of love sufficient to melt the hardest heart in the end. The cross is where the paradox of God's sovereignty and man's free will is resolved. It is where God forces us to love him freely.

Most people don't love God because they have no overwhelming conviction that God loves them. That will change for us all. Suppose one day I realise unambiguously that Jesus died to save ME, and I see with my own eyes what that cost...whose heart would not be overthrown? Yours, my dear Moose, would be one of the first.
AllanS

Postby HeartInkling » September 20th, 2005, 10:27 pm

HeartInkling
Wardrobian

Postby HeartInkling » September 20th, 2005, 10:38 pm

[quote="AllanS"]Hi Jo,

I think Jesus' death was an act of love sufficient to melt the hardest heart in the end. The cross is where the paradox of God's sovereignty and man's free will is resolved. It is where God forces us to love him freely.
quote]

Amen and beautifully said.

HeartInkling
Wardrobian

Postby jo » September 21st, 2005, 10:49 am

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy