This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Schism among age groups

Re: Schism among age groups

Postby Adam » September 22nd, 2005, 3:26 am

"Love is the only art that poorly imitates nature."
Adam
Wardrobian

Postby robsia » September 22nd, 2005, 1:13 pm

robsia
Wardrobian

Postby magpie » September 22nd, 2005, 4:19 pm

"Love is the will to extend one's self in order to nurture one's own or another's spiritual growth."
M. Scott Peck

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
magpie
Wardrobian

re: Schism among age groups

Postby The Seventh Son » September 27th, 2005, 7:44 pm

The Seventh Son
Wardrobian

Re: re: Schism among age groups

Postby tangent » September 27th, 2005, 8:36 pm

There are 25 year olds in my diocese who enjoy smells, bells and Latin but not very many. Too often I have been to traditional church services where there is no one under 40. The average age of the attendees at our 1662 Holy Communion service at 8 am is 65. The average age of the congregation at our sister church, which holds a traditional service at 10:30 am, is 55, not counting the under 10s who are forced to come with their parents.

There is no future for the traditional church in my diocese. By and large, the church members are growing old and dying or moving into old people's homes. Young people are voting with their feet and leaving the church as soon as they are out of their parents' clutches (early teens). A few remain in the traditional churches but very few. Fortunately there are churches who understand their plight and are willing to sacrifice their personal wishes for the benefit of the whole community. There is a renewed vigour in the Church and Cheshire has seen a growth in membership over the past three years.

If I want organ music I play a CD. If I want choral evensong I attend a cathedral service where the choir sings in tune. I enjoy such services, but I take a much greater delight in seeing an evenly-balanced congregation worshipping God in unison.
tangent
Wardrobian

Postby The Seventh Son » September 27th, 2005, 9:32 pm

The Seventh Son
Wardrobian

Postby mjmann » September 27th, 2005, 9:48 pm

mjmann
Wardrobian

Postby The Seventh Son » September 27th, 2005, 9:52 pm

The Seventh Son
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » September 28th, 2005, 1:08 am

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

re: Schism among age groups

Postby Boyd Britton » September 28th, 2005, 2:24 am

Our small traditional Anglican parish is not all old people, but our focus on the Eucharist (and no choir but -- hate to say it -- poor organ) brings a lot of us to low, spoken Mass which is moving in itself but subdued. I admire the Pentecostal and other congregations who burst out in emotional song -- loud, too! Check out, for one example, "Stir Up the Gift" by the Colorado Mass Choir. "Come before His presence with a song" is a music cue.
Boyd Britton
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy