This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Torture legitimized?

Torture legitimized?

Postby Melodee » September 23rd, 2005, 3:19 pm

Melodee
Wardrobian

Postby magpie » September 23rd, 2005, 3:37 pm

This would seem at first glance to be an extension of the one aspect of the classical doctrine of a "just war." One of the tests of jus ad bellum is that the aggression must be in a just cause with a view of securing a good which outweighs the evil of the violence. In more modern ethics that would be similar to the argument for the greatest good to the greatest number of people. However, this becomes a very slippery slope, even in "just war" theory itself, when one considers jus in bello which regulates the actual conduct of such aggession. It is also problematical whether a "just war" theory which was originally intended for political entitities can reasonably be applied to individuals.
"Love is the will to extend one's self in order to nurture one's own or another's spiritual growth."
M. Scott Peck

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
magpie
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » September 23rd, 2005, 5:46 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby magpie » September 23rd, 2005, 7:15 pm

"Love is the will to extend one's self in order to nurture one's own or another's spiritual growth."
M. Scott Peck

magpie
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » September 23rd, 2005, 8:37 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Just war...

Postby Melodee » September 24th, 2005, 3:27 pm

Melodee
Wardrobian

Postby Melodee » September 24th, 2005, 3:47 pm

Melodee
Wardrobian

Postby Kolbitar » September 25th, 2005, 10:16 pm

Kolbitar
Wardrobian

re: Torture legitimized?

Postby Melodee » September 27th, 2005, 11:32 am

Melodee
Wardrobian

Postby jo » September 28th, 2005, 10:29 am

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Melodee » September 29th, 2005, 1:25 pm

Hi Jo :)

These hypothetical scenarios are gut-wrenching but they suppose a degree of foreknowledge and even present knowledge of outcomes that no one is ever likely to have with complete certainty.

Melodee
Melodee
Wardrobian

Postby jo » September 29th, 2005, 1:49 pm

Well true :). I've been giving it a fair amount of thought the last cpl days and I still can't come up with a definite answer to your OP (Antti says he agrees with you that torture should NEVER happen .. personally I find it hard to say 'never' cos I don't know how extreme a circumstance could possibly get and how I might react).
"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Re: re: Torture legitimized?

Postby magpie » September 29th, 2005, 4:34 pm

M. Scott Peck

magpie
Wardrobian

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy