This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

The Two-Way Mirror: More on the CONCEPT of God

The Two-Way Mirror: More on the CONCEPT of God

Postby gskern » September 24th, 2005, 3:53 pm

I've been pondering this idea of the CONCEPT of God quite a bit lately...

My first thought yesterday morning, as soon as I woke up, was that we ALL often take certain actions based on Concepts that we hold to be true... For example, "Retirement" is a Concept about my future about which I take action today, by saving and investing (though I don't ever plan to actually retire)... A "flat Earth" was a Concept originally held by scientists and later challenged by explorers, who took action by sailing across the ocean... "Freedom of Religion" was a Concept that the pilgrims held to be so priceless that scores of them took action and boarded ships and sailed to the "New World" (many dying along the way)...

Examples abound. So it's no great stretch to conclude that the CONCEPT of God can (and very often does) compel Humans to take certain actions and to live their lives in certain ways... Both terrorists and fundamentalist Baptists are on the extreme fringes, perhaps, but I'm wondering aloud, here, if I am not indeed beginning to be comfortable with acting out the CONCEPT that the God I say I believe in is actually real, and that this is "okay", is "normal"....

Then, of course, I must also add a principle I learned from Sheldon Vanauken (both from his books and from the man himself, through letters and a single, incredible visit to his "bird house" before he died) -- that is, that the Choice to "reject" is just as big a step of Faith as the Choice to "accept"... applied here, it means that I can leave off pursuing a "real" God because I view God as only a "Concept", or I can let that "Concept" actually guide what I do and say, even if sometimes it feels as if I'm stumbling around in the dark... Hmmmmm.....................

But here is the one HUGE, glaring difference:
In the examples above, the Concepts were fairly "neutral" things, but in this case, the "Concept" is said to be a PERSON, a real BEING, with characteristics (Omniscience, etc.) that we can barely begin to fathom. This PERSON generally does not manifest Himself directly to us (dispelling the whole idea of "Concept"), and, given the vast complexity of the Human Mind, may in fact BE merely a concept...

Picture yourself in a very luxurious interrogation room, and at one end is a large mirror... You understand immediately that the mirror is actually a 2-way mirror, and that somebody -- HIM -- is on the other side... You are certain that He hears you (microphone system in the room somewhere), but He NEVER makes Himself manifest to you, though you're sure He is watching everything you do...

Is this not about as close to our ACTUAL experience of God as it gets? We "believe" He's on the other side of the mirror, we "believe" He's more than a "Concept", but in the end, it's more like HOPE, eh? And that Hope compels us to live AS IF He is there, AS IF He hears us, and AS IF He is somehow involved in our lives (answering prayers, changing us, drawing us to Himself)...Yet we stare into the mirror and see only our own bewildered face staring back at us...

No conclusion to this, really; I'm just pondering aloud...
gskern
Wardrobian

Re: The Two-Way Mirror: More on the CONCEPT of God

Postby Karen » September 24th, 2005, 4:41 pm

Your thoughts bring to mind a few biblical passages:

1 Cor 13:12 For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.

2 Cor 3:18 But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord.

James 1:22-25 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man observing his natural face in a mirror; for he observes himself, goes away, and immediately forgets what kind of man he was. But he who looks into the perfect law of liberty and continues in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this one will be blessed in what he does.
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby John Anthony » September 24th, 2005, 4:43 pm

John Anthony
Wardrobian

Postby magpie » September 24th, 2005, 4:50 pm

"Love is the will to extend one's self in order to nurture one's own or another's spiritual growth."
M. Scott Peck

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
magpie
Wardrobian

Postby Achilles » September 24th, 2005, 6:04 pm

The unexamine life is not worth living. -Socrates
Achilles
Wardrobian

Postby Allison » September 24th, 2005, 7:17 pm

We find comfort among those who agree with us, growth among those who don't.
--Frank A. Clark
Allison
Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » September 24th, 2005, 9:59 pm

AllanS

Postby gskern » September 25th, 2005, 2:09 pm

gskern
Wardrobian

Postby John Anthony » September 25th, 2005, 5:14 pm

I will say quite bluntly that I don't believe I have ever EXPERIENCED God directly, at least, not in any way that might just as easily be explained as being mysterious workings of the powerful Human Mind. Nobody else I have ever met has had experiences, either, which might not also be explained in that way...

gskern--

I’ve had experiences of a kind that I found very hard to believe were the products of my personal brain-based mind alone. They did not lead me to the certain conclusion that I had experienced God. But they did give me a powerful sense of something very mysterious and awesome and essentially good about Reality.

John
John Anthony
Wardrobian

Postby Genie » September 25th, 2005, 5:32 pm

Totus tuus

Genie
Wardrobian

Postby Donna » September 25th, 2005, 5:41 pm

Donna
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » September 25th, 2005, 6:24 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby gskern » September 25th, 2005, 6:47 pm

gskern
Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » September 25th, 2005, 9:51 pm

AllanS

Postby Genie » September 25th, 2005, 9:51 pm

Totus tuus

Genie
Wardrobian