This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Experiencing God's Presence

Experiencing God's Presence

Postby Tony » September 29th, 2005, 10:21 pm

It is almost impossible for words to describe experiencing God's presence, let me say that first and foremost. What I am about to state is not even close to truly relating what transpires. Please, share your feelings too.

I can only testify that there is a transformative clarity and focus in my heart, a sense of unity with existence, like being outside of my own life and time. I am not an 18 year old man, I am not a son, I'm nobody's brother, not a college student, not an employee, I'm not an SS Number, I'm not a guy, the writer, --- all normal means of identifying who and what I am are useless in those moments, there is seemingly no world, no buzzing pulsing towering world of highways and oceans of skyscrapers and factories and bombs and rolling wars, there is seemingly none of this, in those moments the world and time are overcome, transcended, a transforming focus and unity. The seeming disconnected events that connect the earth, the conflicts and trails of smoke and dust, the gunshots and gutters, The emotion isn't even happiness in the normal sense, unlike the happiness of material or even romantic success or even musical bliss, but a piercing and unnerving but all the while uplifting and soaring awareness of a gracious force, a holy presence, my God.
"The Church is the natural home of the Human Spirit."
-Hilaire Belloc
Tony
Wardrobian

re: Experiencing God's Presence

Postby A#minor » October 2nd, 2005, 3:35 am

I've only attained what you describe once when I had lost everything, or so I thought. God was present to me in a way I had never imagined.

I wouldn't put too much importance on the feeling of that though. If it comes, wonderful; but if it doesn't come, then don't think that God isn't there. He is there always.
Lewis said that feelings aren't what matters; what counts is our motive and our actions. Don't get too caught up in trying to recreate that feeling.
God bless.
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Tony » October 2nd, 2005, 10:20 pm

"The Church is the natural home of the Human Spirit."
-Hilaire Belloc
Tony
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » October 3rd, 2005, 2:38 am

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy