This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

An empirical quest for the supernatural

An empirical quest for the supernatural

Postby Air of Winter » September 30th, 2005, 6:26 am

Air of Winter
Wardrobian

Re: An empirical quest for the supernatural

Postby tangent » September 30th, 2005, 6:49 am

You cannot prove by experiment that the supernatural exists because, by definition, the supernatural does not conform to physical laws. However, you asked for less definite testimony, the discovery of the existence of supernatural. I take this to mean evidence sufficient to persuade oneself that the supernatural exists.

If you estimate that a supernatural event is witnessed randomly by one person every 1000 years, then you could take a large number of people, assess each of them for credibility, select a million such people whom you believe are credible and record their testimony. If after a year you have 1000 testimonies of supernatural events then you have credible evidence that the supernatural exists.
tangent
Wardrobian

re: An empirical quest for the supernatural

Postby AllanS » September 30th, 2005, 8:49 am

AllanS

Postby Robin » September 30th, 2005, 3:25 pm

My gut reaction to this would be to think that looking for evidence of the supernatural within nature is like looking for a bird in the sea. Yet Christianity has a strong history of miracles especially the Resurrection, that I tend to think God wanted us to take this miracles as evidence.
Robin
Wardrobian

Postby Robin » September 30th, 2005, 3:25 pm

My gut reaction to this would be to think that looking for evidence of the supernatural within nature is like looking for a bird under the sea. Yet Christianity has a strong history of miracles especially the Resurrection, that I tend to think God wanted us to take this miracles as evidence.
Robin
Wardrobian

Postby Air of Winter » September 30th, 2005, 3:57 pm

Air of Winter
Wardrobian

Re: re: An empirical quest for the supernatural

Postby Air of Winter » September 30th, 2005, 4:04 pm

Air of Winter
Wardrobian

Postby Josh » September 30th, 2005, 5:56 pm

Last edited by Josh on September 30th, 2005, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh
Wardrobian

Postby John Anthony » September 30th, 2005, 6:54 pm

John Anthony
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » September 30th, 2005, 8:12 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Air of Winter » September 30th, 2005, 8:53 pm

Air of Winter
Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » September 30th, 2005, 9:36 pm

From the eulogy at my Uncle's funeral. (He nearly died in his mid 40's, and finally died, aged 83.)

::Eleven months later Dad collapsed with severe headaches, was rushed to hospital and diagnosed with a brain haemorrhage. The prognosis was very poor – only a 20% chance of survival and a high probability that if he did survive, he would be severely brain damaged.

Dad’s memory of these events is captured in his own words.

“I lost my ability to speak, to think, to remember who I was or where I was.... I was still at death’s door for quite a long time.

During this long time when I was lying on my bed, I had a vision of people around my bed watching over me. I had the distinct impression that I was not to open my eyes. I didn’t. I could sense movement around me. I have no idea how long this went on and then I felt it was OK to open my eyes. Angels (?) were moving back out of my area of vision. Then a figure appeared quietly and came and inspected me. He was a tall, well-built man about six feet tall. He had long, light brown hair, wore a white robe (garment) with a golden belt about five inches wide around his waist. I did not see his eyes or his footwear as they were covered by the bed. In the quietness, words came to me – not spoken, not written, just put in my mind – “The Great and Glorious Holy Spirit”. He was real. I could have reached out and touched him. Who was He? Jesus? The Angel Gabriel? I don’t know. Many times I have asked the Lord but He has never told me. It is probably no concern of mine.

About this time my wife Claire had an experience too – she was sitting in our lounge, praying, and the words came to her that I was going to get well again. She believed and tried to tell the doctors but they had a sympathetic, non-believing attitude.

I did get well but it took a couple of years and I was still left with a couple of “thorns in the flesh”. There is so much more I could say but this I know – Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever.”
AllanS

Postby Genie » September 30th, 2005, 10:18 pm

Totus tuus

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
Genie
Wardrobian

Re: re: An empirical quest for the supernatural

Postby Allison » September 30th, 2005, 10:47 pm

We find comfort among those who agree with us, growth among those who don't.
--Frank A. Clark
Allison
Wardrobian

Postby Genie » September 30th, 2005, 10:59 pm

Totus tuus

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
Genie
Wardrobian

Next

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy