This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Vegetarian Christians

Vegetarian Christians

Postby pedestrian73 » October 2nd, 2005, 8:38 pm

I just made a post in the Narnia forum about Eustace's parents being vegetarians in Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I had a question that I thought I should ask in this forum.

Let me first say that I'm a Christian and I've been eating a vegetarian diet for six months. Now, there are some Christians who teach that we should all be vegetarians - I'm not one of them. I don't think it's morally wrong to kill and eat animals. I mainly do it for health reasons, environmental reasons and because of the way that most of the meat industry treats animals.

I know that God allows man to eat meat, people ate meat in the Bible, Jesus fed people fish. My question is: Is it wrong for a Christian to be vegetarian since God has given us meat to eat or is it okay? The best scripture I can think of that I believe that we have that choice is Romans 14.

Any opinions or ideas? Thanks. :)
pedestrian73
Wardrobian

re: Vegetarian Christians

Postby A#minor » October 2nd, 2005, 9:11 pm

I think that if it's for health reasons then you should just eat whatever you want. Just make sure that you get enough protein (eat eggs or something). As long as you are taking care of God's temple (i.e. your body) then I think that God will be pleased.

A good reference for you to look up would be . It's a holistic diet that's based on God's dietary laws given to the Israelites. Some of the stuff in there, I wouldn't reccommend, but most of it is common sense. (Duh, fiber and fresh veggies are good for you.)
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Summer » October 2nd, 2005, 10:08 pm

I've been a vegetarian my entire life, and it's mostly for health reasons. I do understand what Lewis was saying about that other type of vegetarians, though. They don't enjoy their food! They have to be careful and nitpicky about what they eat. That is wrong, and I think it displeases God.

Me, on the other hand...I love food! Let me make you a list: Indian, Thai, Korean, South Pacific (Hawaiian!), Mexican, Tex-Mex, Kenyan, etc. I also love the food I grew up on: mashed potatoes, garden veggies, fresh-baked bread, pies, cinnamon rolls, vegetable stew, pizza...all these foods are vegetarian, and I love them. And now I'm hungry.

God did give us meat to eat, but that was right after the flood, when vegetation was scarce. After that, He still gave specific guidelines for what is clean and unclean.
People flock in, nevertheless, in search of answers to those questions only librarians are considered to be able to answer, such as "Is this the laundry?" "How do you spell surreptitious?" and, on a regular basis, "Do you have a book I remember reading once? It had a red cover and it turned out they were twins." ~Terry Pratchett, about libraries
And we shall reach zero at some point. :)
Summer
Wardrobian

Postby Tony » October 2nd, 2005, 10:09 pm

I just met a sister in Christ and she's a veggie. She's cool. I'll never be converted though!
"The Church is the natural home of the Human Spirit."
-Hilaire Belloc
Tony
Wardrobian

Postby tangent » October 2nd, 2005, 11:16 pm

I like my meat. I'm allergic to vegetarian food.
tangent
Wardrobian

Postby Melodee » October 3rd, 2005, 2:14 am

Melodee
Wardrobian

Re: re: Vegetarian Christians

Postby A#minor » October 3rd, 2005, 2:42 am

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby tangent » October 3rd, 2005, 5:03 am

tangent
Wardrobian

Postby Summer » October 3rd, 2005, 3:41 pm

People flock in, nevertheless, in search of answers to those questions only librarians are considered to be able to answer, such as "Is this the laundry?" "How do you spell surreptitious?" and, on a regular basis, "Do you have a book I remember reading once? It had a red cover and it turned out they were twins." ~Terry Pratchett, about libraries
And we shall reach zero at some point. :)
Summer
Wardrobian

Postby magpie » October 3rd, 2005, 5:10 pm

The issue is not whether a vegetarian can be a Christian. The issue is that so many vegetarians whom I have known make vegetarianism their ultimate concern, in other words, their object of worship.
"Love is the will to extend one's self in order to nurture one's own or another's spiritual growth."
M. Scott Peck

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
magpie
Wardrobian

Postby Áthas » October 3rd, 2005, 6:44 pm

Áthas
Wardrobian

Postby hana » October 3rd, 2005, 7:14 pm

previously on the list as hapahana/hanachiyo/hannah. joined in early '99.
hana
Wardrobian

Postby hana » October 3rd, 2005, 7:16 pm

previously on the list as hapahana/hanachiyo/hannah. joined in early '99.
hana
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » October 3rd, 2005, 7:19 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Genie » October 3rd, 2005, 7:20 pm

Totus tuus

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
Genie
Wardrobian

Next

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy