This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

The death sentence, is it un-christian?

re: The death sentence, is it un-christian?

Postby Sarah N. » October 20th, 2005, 8:52 pm

What's a Luddite? By the way, this conversation has gotten way off topic. I think that the death penalty is morally permissable. but in most of the world there are no moral applications for it. Locking a person up in prison is enough to stop most people from commiting crimes. Until there are people who routinely break out of high level prisons, the death penalty doens't have a place in law. However, it should not be ruled out forever, because if it is neccesary, it should still be available. The death penalty is not always murder. It is giving the just penalty to a murderer. However, most of the time, a more merciful approach will have better results. I agree that it is bad to kill unrepentant souls. However, if they are a danger to society and cannot be contained by a prison (if we were to meet the bad guys from comic books, for instance) then the death penalty is permissable.
Live in the world as if only God and your soul were in it; then your heart will never be made captive by any earthly thing. ~ St. John of the Cross

Member of the 2456317 Club.
Sarah N.
Wardrobian

Re: re: The death sentence, is it un-christian?

Postby Karen » October 20th, 2005, 8:59 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

re: The death sentence, is it un-christian?

Postby Authur » October 21st, 2005, 1:21 am

Indeed, there are some very good answers.

The Luddites where very interesting. You have to feel for them, being threatened by all those new inventions, and weaving machines. Who can blame them for going on the rampage and smashing a lot of new weaving machines, they were going to loose their jobs, what options did they have. It must have been hard for them.

Back on topic,, after reading this thread i still do not feel comfortable with the death sentence in law. Even if the person who committed the crime is un-repentant and dangerous, i still think they should be imprisoned, lots of maximum security prisons around.

Cheers
Authur
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy