This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

The Difference Faith Makes

re: The Difference Faith Makes

Postby robsia » February 18th, 2006, 9:27 pm

You said "every planet in the galaxy"

The above agencies have not possibly found every planet in the galaxy and you have therefore not seen every planet in the galaxy.

The ones that have been found so far are gas giants because they are the only type of planet that shows up on our current level of technology. Something to do with a wobble in the orbit of their sun. Also, most of them (apart from the ones in our own solar system of course) are far too far away to detect rings or moons so we cannot possibly know if/how many of these each planet has. That's why I laughed. Scientists cannot even decided whether some of the bodies in our solar system ARE planets or not. The vast majority of people on this earth believe the poor, misnamed Moon to be a satellite, when in fact the Earth/Moon system is actually a twin planetary system.

Besides which, if every single planet had been discovered and mapped and it was found that there were two or more identical planets in the galaxy, that would be evidence FOR a Creator, rather than against, as it would be argued that he found a formula which worked.
robsia
Wardrobian

Re: re: The Difference Faith Makes

Postby Stanley Anderson » February 19th, 2006, 1:16 am

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » February 19th, 2006, 9:25 am

If the universe is infinite, life will pop up sooner or later somewhere.

This is the ultimate scientific explanation. It's perfect for everything! For example, if you asked "Why did the toast burn?", I would reply: "Somewhere in an infinite universe, toast is sure to be burning, and this so happens to be that place."

QED
AllanS

Postby robsia » February 19th, 2006, 10:56 am

robsia
Wardrobian

Postby Kolbitar » February 19th, 2006, 2:52 pm

Hey again Allan.

If the universe is infinite, and there's motion in the universe, then an infinite motion has to pass through a finite amount of time. Isn't this impossible?
Kolbitar
Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » February 19th, 2006, 10:40 pm

AllanS

Postby Kolbitar » February 20th, 2006, 12:13 am

::An infinite universe implies infinite time, since space/time is one four-dimensional thing.

Allan, I disagree that they're ontologically the same. Science has sided with Idealism when it makes such pronouncements.

But do you agree that if time runs backward forever, and will go on forward forever, and the present exists in a finite moment along that time line, then an infinite motion cannot travel through a finite present?
The man who lives in contact with what he believes to be a living Church is a man always expecting to meet Plato and Shakespeare tomorrow at breakfast. He is always expecting to see some truth that he has never seen before. --Chesterton

Sober Inebriation: http://soberinebriationblog.blogspot.com/
Kolbitar
Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » February 20th, 2006, 7:31 am

Hi Jesse,

I'm quickly getting out of my depth here. Do you hear those bubbles? They're mine.

You insist that one apple plus one apple equals two apples. Surely this is Science siding with Idealism:) (Each apple is ontologically unique. God knows each apple by name.)

As for infinites and things, I don't know much. If you divide a piece of string into an infinite number of pieces, each peice has zero length. But how can a piece of string have no length?

Remember Zeno's Paradox of the Tortise and the Hare? He neatly proves that motion of any kind is impossible if space is continuous. (But if space is full of holes, what's in the holes?)
AllanS

Postby robsia » February 20th, 2006, 10:59 am

robsia
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » February 20th, 2006, 1:55 pm

I hear you, Linda. ;)

Whilst I'm not going to debate you on evolution vs creation (because I really don't have the scientific knowledge and understanding), I do want to make two points.

There are scientists and people who have a good understand scientific topics who hold to the 7 day creation, and not only that, but can point to evidence for it. My point here is, as the saying goes, so it's not necessarily so black and white as evolution is true and creation is one big bad scary lie, as you would seem to suggest. And I'm a bit concerned at your hard out anti-creation views...

The second issue I just wanted to mention is, for most of my schooling, I went to a Christian school in Victoria (Aus), where my dad was the principal. Yes, creation was taught, but so was evolution. I'm pretty sure the science teachers there believed in a literal 7 day creation (but I'm not certain of it), but what I do know is this - evolution was not taught as a big bad scary lie. It was taught as a realistic theory and it was not mocked in anyway...what's wrong with doing the same about a possible 7 day creation?
Member of The 2456317 Club

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby robsia » February 20th, 2006, 4:01 pm

robsia
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » February 20th, 2006, 11:33 pm

Well, considering what I mentioned about Christian schools teaching evolution as well as creation. The fact that creation isn't taught in many secular schools looks very much like arrogance. And you don't appear to be able to give any good reason why it's not an example of arrogance. :/

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby jo » February 20th, 2006, 11:40 pm

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » February 20th, 2006, 11:45 pm

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby jo » February 20th, 2006, 11:49 pm

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy