This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

- Agrument from Reason -

- Agrument from Reason -

Postby boomer196 » February 5th, 2006, 8:29 am

I have recently been growing in my "passion for truth" and started to look into C.S. Lewis and his reasoning. My first reading about his work is the Trillemma argument.

Christ can only be 3 seperate things.
- God, who he claimed to be
- A lunatic
- A liar

It would seem that Lewis has made a 3 square boxing ring. And you must pick your corner to fight in. Some say that this reasoning is to simple. But simplicity has nothing to do with it. It is what it is. You have to take apart the argument. Not the reason you don't like the argument.
Just an observation/thought... If those who believe that this world is only physical, natural, etc. (anyone who believes that there is no God or Supreme person) those people have to consider the consequences of that belief.
1). There is no right and wrong.
2). Life is meaningless in that is holds no life after this life.
3). The feelings you have for your wife, kids, friends, etc. are not
purposeful. They really don't matter. There is no valid reason
or higher purpose for which you should love your family or
friends. Why? If you believe that their is no God or higher
being, then you have established the belief that nature,
humans, and other life, are not only of equal value, but are
created by "nothingless". Nothingless being whatever is the
opposite or reason, purpose, meaning... In essence God.

What is the problem with believing in Naturalism, Physicalism, or Evolution among many other things? Consider this...

A man one morning wakes up and makes his usual coffee and breakfeast for his wife and he. He reads the newspaper and stares outside his windows at the beautiful sunrise. His wife joins him for breakfeast and walks him to the car. They talk a little before he heads off to work for the day.
His wife, wanting to know how much he loves her, playfully asks her husband how much he loves her. "More than this whole world. More than you can imagine." She tells him that she knows they will spend eternity together. She says they will be together forever. "Sorry hunny, this is all we have. You know as well as I do that there is no life after this. There is no heaven nor hell for that matter. There is no after life. That's why we have to make the best of this life." He trys to show sympathy seeing how his words have devasted her.
She trys to cover up that she is obviously hurt. What woman wants to hear that from her husband? He trys to explain. "How can I, the creation of not a creator but of an unexplainable and meaningless creation in itself, believe we will live in heaven with some sort of God someday? Afterall, what can come from a mistake but a mistake? And what can come from meaningless besides meaningless? And if all this world is is a meaningless mistake... how do we have meaning? It is only plausable to come to the conclusion that what we feel for eachother holds no more meaning than the purpose this universe exsists."

Now this is definitely not the normal conversation a married couple would have. Definitely not in the morning right after breakfeast. But whether you like it or not... you get the point of this story. This man in the story is right. If there is no Reason for living, your values and feelings towards loved ones can't be described as anything more than survival in this life. Or perhaps as Darwin would say, Survival or the Fittest.
boomer196

re: - Agrument from Reason -

Postby Sven » February 5th, 2006, 1:05 pm

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Re: - Agrument from Reason -

Postby Kolbitar » February 5th, 2006, 2:23 pm

::Just an observation/thought... If those who believe that this world is only physical, natural, etc. (anyone who believes that there is no God or Supreme person) those people have to consider the consequences of that belief.
1). There is no right and wrong.

I'm not so sure this is the best way to approach this consequence. For right and wrong exist--period. I cannot deny that I seek "the good," so that anything that is really good for me, and all human beings, should align my conscious desires, making some right, some wrong. If you can attach the desire for God as a natural human need, in fact, as the ultimate good for which we strive to "the good", and the logic holds, then a denial of God includes the denial that there is right and wrong, thus is a denial of self-evident proposition--I ought to seek the good.

::2). Life is meaningless in that is holds no life after this life.

Taking the aforementioned approach, atheism is equated with selfishness, for the atheist holds a position (sometimes in spite of his philanthropic actions) which keeps him within himself. Here I am with two possibilities, that God exists, or that He doesn't. There are very good arguments for His existence, and there are, at least emotionally, good arguments that He doesn't exist (I don't think they're good, but I am taking the hypothetical position that I have come into existence all of a sudden, thrust between these possibilities). Shall I follow the most healthy, fulfilled human beings religions have dubbed 'Saints,' and venture out in my actions to attempt to experience the fact for myself? or shall I stay in my own little world which allows me to do what I want to do, and reject Him? Let me put this in terms which include include the scope of my neighbor. Shall I venture out, shall I have hope for my loved ones, for the hopeless, and for the tragic fate of man, and see, first hand, if this is true? Or shall I stay on my own, safe island, content to mock the hopeful, and close my ears to the hurting for whom they have their hope?

Sincerely,

Jesse
The man who lives in contact with what he believes to be a living Church is a man always expecting to meet Plato and Shakespeare tomorrow at breakfast. He is always expecting to see some truth that he has never seen before. --Chesterton

Sober Inebriation: http://soberinebriationblog.blogspot.com/
Kolbitar
Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » February 5th, 2006, 3:09 pm

1/ If I hope in a God who loves me, and there is no God, what have I lost?

2/ If I hope in a God who loves me, but he doesn't love me...
:: First, he's not God, since God can do all things doable. (My mother can love me, so can my dog, but God cannot?)
:: Second, if he doesn't love me, why should I love him?
:: Third, if I ingratiate myself into his affections, sooner or later, he'll turn on me.
:: In a nutshell, I'm stuffed whatever I do.

3/ If I hope in a God who loves me, and he does love me, well the possibilities are literally endless.

4/ I think it is self-evident that we ought to hope for the best.
AllanS

Postby boomer196 » February 5th, 2006, 5:13 pm

boomer196

Re: re: - Agrument from Reason -

Postby Kolbitar » February 5th, 2006, 7:09 pm

The man who lives in contact with what he believes to be a living Church is a man always expecting to meet Plato and Shakespeare tomorrow at breakfast. He is always expecting to see some truth that he has never seen before. --Chesterton

Kolbitar
Wardrobian

Postby robsia » February 5th, 2006, 7:26 pm

robsia
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » February 5th, 2006, 7:38 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Kolbitar » February 5th, 2006, 8:00 pm

Kolbitar
Wardrobian

Postby robsia » February 5th, 2006, 9:45 pm

robsia
Wardrobian

Postby Kolbitar » February 5th, 2006, 10:38 pm

Kolbitar
Wardrobian

Postby robsia » February 5th, 2006, 11:05 pm

Do you think we should all sit around being miserable because some people in the world have a bad lot?

We do what we can to help but that is not the prerogative of Christians alone. Of course people are unhappy about the way people in various parts of the world are treated or their situations but that doesn't mean we should all sit around going "oh woe is me!" If we did that we'd go mad. You can't take the problems of the world on your shoulders. There has to be some degree of separation for the sake of sanity. Doesn't mean we don't care.

What about those who HAVE taken the time to find out what the Saints say (I assume you mean the Bible) and decided either not to accept it or not to believe in it?

And what about people who live good lives and who by their deeds might be indistinguishable from Christians, but happen not to be. It is possible to do good deeds without being a Christian.
robsia
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » February 5th, 2006, 11:12 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby boomer196 » February 6th, 2006, 7:41 am

Hey Guys -

A lot of responses to my post. Surprising. In addition to my post and to the responses...

The reason I am writing this and conversing with you guys is to see how others view what I view. So first off, yes, that story doesn't take place everyday in most people's life. Specially after breakfest. Second, I am not writing on here to "save all". Only Jesus Christ can save you. Christ like followers are only trying to share what has brought them more joy than you could ever imagine. A peace beyond all understanding. And for good reasons.
One myth that needs to be cleared up is this. No Christ like follower, nor a non-christian for that matter, can validly say that they themselves can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt, 100%, that a or the God/Higher being exists by means of science, philosophy, etc. Thus... we followers of Christ have Faith, the substance of things hoped for. If someone could prove the existence of God today by pyhsical means there would be no point or reason for Faith in Christ. And Hebrews 11 tells us that it is impossible to please God without Faith. Period. However, a follower of Christ, like those of the early church, should be able to show a Faith that is unexplainable. Paul says in the New Testament that what we believe as followers of Christ is foolishness to those who don't believe. And with that said, I highly doubt that I will EVER talk somebody into becoming a believer in Christ as the son of God by means of Apologetics or Philosophy for that matter.
So for example on the subject of Good and Evil. One man could say that the definition of the word Good means to help out our fellow man. Whether you believe in God or not. And he could also say that the definition of Evil is ignoring the problems of this world. Chosing to be selfish and not help those around us. Such problems as Genicide in Uganda. A 7 year old kid in the Congo is handed an automatic assault rifle and is told to kill whoever and whenever needed. For the purpose of power, money, etc. And he also will probably die within a week or so. I don't think most anybody would disagree that the stories of Uganda and and the Congo are horrible and Evil and are depressing.
Then another man could say that the definition of Good is folling Jesus, the son of the living God. And he could also say the definition of Evil is choosing not to believe in God. So to say, if you are not following God then you are against God. Period. So then you ask, "So what is the problem? I view Good and Evil a little or a whole lot differently than my neighboor. And I don't think the definitions of Good and Evil have anything to do with whether or not you believe in God." I think we would all agree that there are degrees to everything in this world.
When 9/11 happend thousands of people were horribly murdered. Some jumping out the windows of the World Trade Center because they had a delimna. Die by fire and burning and crushing walls falling on them or by jumping out a window to face instant death on impact. This would be America's belief among many other nations as a perfect example of Evil. Among Christians, Atheists, Agnostics, Naturalists, and Physicalists. We would all classify what happend on 9/11 as Evil.
However, those men who caused the falling of the Twin towers and the destruction of the Pentagon, would tell you that what they were doing was Good. You say, that's not a good argument. From what we know so far they were a radical religous group. Their beliefs of the Jihad or God got in the way. But just to take that out of the picture, if God really doesn't exist, their "religious" beliefs don't matter. Their beliefs are what they are. You can't take a way from what somebody believes. That's a fact. You believe in this or that or you don't. That is their definition of Good by attacking us. What makes their definition of Good wrong? What makes our definition of Good right? Why are we right in how we define Evil and they are wrong?
This is definitely where Absolute Truth would come into play. Good cannot be Evil. Evil cannot be Good. In anyway, shape, nor form. Truth is the opposite of false. I am 5 feet 11 inches tall. Not 6 feet and 8 inches tall. That would be False. What those men on 9/11 did was Evil you say. Us defending our country and being opposed to what they did is Good. I know I am 5 feet 11 inches by a measuring stick. I know because I have a "standard" to be measured by. So that makes me ask, "What is the measuring stick for Good and Evil?"
If Darwin among his many followers was right in the basic belief in Survival of the fittest, what those men did on 9/11 was exactly that. They are trying to survive and become a strong power to insure their survival. It does not matter how you survive as long as you survive. The essense of survival in Darwins belief was surviving in a world that is without a God. We might not experience that in our blue-collar homes and neighboorhoods and among your friends and family. But that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It does. That is why the poverty of this world and all the things that make us mourn for those people is a topic that cannot be avoided.
A lot of people believe that in the whole history of our world, over 90% of all people have believed in a Higher Being of some sort. America is reported to be a Christian nation. That is roughly around 95% percent of American citizens claim some form of Christianity. It wouldn't be a stretch to say that God, not neccessarily Yahew or Christ, but some sort of god has been the measuring stick for which we measure Good and Evil. But if no god of any kind exists... where is your measuring stick? How do you show evidence that your definition of Good is right and killing an innocent human being is wrong?
By taking away God you also take away the measuring stick by which our ancestors have usually used to seperate Good from Evil. And then by doing that... you are left with people making their own beliefs and definitions of Good and Evil. Every man and women is therefor no more justified in their belief than any other person. I cannot show you any evidence besides my actions in daily life like love and kindness because of the way Christ has changed me that God exists. And that is what I will try to show you. Because I cannot prove by a formula nor scientific fact that God is real. But certain questions are worth asking. Like, if the Bible and the accounts of the Gospels are made up concerning the ressurection of Christ, why would the authors of the Gospels claim women to have found the empty tomb and to whom Jesus came to. That is pretty obvious that they would know by using women in their story that it would lose validity. Because women in their time were not trustworthy by ANY means. How do you explain the sudden change in the Apostles like Peter? He goes from Denying Christ 3 times and cowarding from the ones who are going to kill Jesus, and if you believe Christ didn't rise from the dead, then Peter among the others would have been very very depressed (and was) that the man they walked with all 3 or so years had just been killed with no hope of any kind to return. To all the sudden the Apostles are stepping in line to be murdered for this man you would claim didn't rise from the dead. We know that the Apostles were able to endure their suffering and pain because they claimed the resurrection of Christ. And if the resurrection didn't happen at all... That has to be one of the craziest stories I ever heard. A bunch of guys who either volunteered to be murdered for a lie that they knew was a lie, or all the 500 + people who claimed to see Christ after he died even Skeptics and non-believers claimed that. So around 500 people or so had the same illusion. Even taking the number down to the minimum. If only 12 men had illusioned that they saw Jesus Christ, the chances of them having the same illusion at the same time during those circumstances are prettty.... unlikely? Makes you think. Doesn't Physically prove anything 100%... But makes you think.
Last edited by boomer196 on February 6th, 2006, 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
boomer196

Postby Kolbitar » February 6th, 2006, 12:45 pm

:: One myth that needs to be cleared up is this. No Christ like follower, nor a non-christian for that matter, can validly say that they themselves can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt, 100%, that a or the God/Higher being exists by means of science, philosophy, etc. Thus... we followers of Christ have Faith, the substance of things hoped for. If someone could prove the existence of God today by pyhsical means there would be no point or reason for Faith in Christ.

Not much can be proved beyond a shadow of a doubt, but God's existence can be proved beyond a reasonable doubt, philosophically. Does this mean there's "no point or reason for Faith in Christ"? Absolutely not. Only certain charcteristics can be known about the God of philosophy, the Articles of Faith not being among them. There's a difference between reason and faith.

Sincerely,

Jesse

P.S. I'm kind of curious about your choice of title for this thread. How can there be an argument (answer) from reason yet no reasonable conclusion (argument)?

Kolbitar
Wardrobian

Next

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy