This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Public faith and social convention

Public faith and social convention

Postby Amy » February 5th, 2006, 3:12 pm

I got to thinking about this after visiting another message board.

How do other English-speaking countires treat public sharing of Christian faith? Here in the U.S., it is basically prohibited in certain circumstances (for example, a public school teacher can't evangelize to students). You also don't see it much on TV or in movies unless they are aimed at/themed about Christians. The latter issue seems to be mostly about social norms rather than what is/isn't allowed. I am curious to hear from people here who live in other places what the cultural norms are for that sort of thing.
Amy
Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip. ~Will Rogers
Amy
Wardrobian

re: Public faith and social convention

Postby Áthas » February 5th, 2006, 5:17 pm

Áthas
Wardrobian

re: Public faith and social convention

Postby Authur » February 6th, 2006, 2:12 am

In Australia i think it's mostly the same as he rest of the world, public(free) schools you are not allowed to mention your religion and the teachers are not allowed to talk about their religion. People do not mention their religion in normal day behavior.

However i think it is slightly different from a broader social aspect, Seeing that all commonwealth countries have Her Majesty the Queen as the head of the country, and she is also the head of the Church of England, professios such as barristers and solicitors, doctors and politicians all used to be usually a members of the church of england.

mmm, not as completely secular as the USA, but church and state in Australia have only been separated for 150 years, not all that long, when you think about it.
timendi causa est nescire
Authur
Wardrobian

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy