This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Christian Fantasy

re: Christian Fantasy

Postby phos » February 15th, 2006, 6:31 pm

If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.

-C.S. Lewis

phos
Wardrobian

Re: re: Christian Fantasy

Postby Herald » February 15th, 2006, 10:58 pm

Herald
Wardrobian

Postby robsia » February 15th, 2006, 11:14 pm

Did you read what you quoted? Theo said that IF we extend the definition of Christian fantasy to include authors who are Christians, then Harry Potter must be included. I assume this was intened to mean that we cannot extend the definition in this manner as Harry Potter is clearly not Christian - it is secular.

And do you think you have the right to judge who is and is not a Christian based on public displays?

Didn't Jesus say something about what people do in private being more important than what they do in public?
robsia
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » February 15th, 2006, 11:53 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Theo » February 16th, 2006, 12:45 am

The reason I like bringing the Rowling thing up is that it really surprised me. When I first heard that she was a Christian, I found it improbable, just because there are no immediately discernable Christian or otherwise religious themes in the books (indeed the Potterverse seems totally devoid of religion as such - then again, so does Middle-Earth ;)). Just goes to show you never can tell, doesn't it? And for the record, no, I wouldn't refer to HP as Christian fantasy in any stricter sense.

Back on the original topic, can we include movies? If so, I'll nominate Kevin Smith's Dogma as a good, if goofy, Christian fantasy.
Last edited by Theo on February 16th, 2006, 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Theo
Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » February 16th, 2006, 12:45 am

You are a great one for these quotes, Karen!

So Harry is going to give his life to defeat Voldemort, eh? How interesting...
AllanS

Postby Herald » February 16th, 2006, 3:38 am

Herald
Wardrobian

Postby phos » February 16th, 2006, 4:01 am

If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.

-C.S. Lewis

phos
Wardrobian

Postby Herald » February 16th, 2006, 5:09 am

I meant Potter's enemy, Voldermort. As far as magic goes, the use of magic in Harry Potter is not the mythical magic, but magick as describe by Alister Crowly (sp?). Countless authorities on witchcraft, the occult and magick agree that the magic demonstrated in the Potter series follows the same mechanics. Like Gandalf casting out Saruman in Two Towers is to Jesus casting out demons, is to Harry Potter and Company using magic is to witches and the occult performing such rituals and casting such spells. Some have even commented their approval with the use of wands, which some believe can help direct the flow of spells more accurately.
Herald
Wardrobian

Postby The Bigsleep J » February 16th, 2006, 5:22 am

Insert supposedly witty but random absurd comment here and add water
The Bigsleep J
Wardrobian

Postby iota » February 16th, 2006, 5:36 am

Harry Potter's going to die!

By not wanting to give it away, she gave it away.

I've sat through 3 of those overly-long, boring movies. I can't bring myself to summon up any enthusiasm to even read a page of it. It's strange though, that Rowling is that good at keeping her Christianity secret. You'd think a tiny ounce of it might spill out into her writings. I'm not saying she's not a Christian, I'm just saying her neverending plotless pointless plodding story hasn't got even one element that might even in a veiled way reference anything Christian.

Does it? Right off the top of my head I can't recall anything.
iota
Wardrobian

Postby Herald » February 16th, 2006, 5:38 am

J.K. Rowling, National Press Club talk, October 20, 1999, transcript, abaliable at www.quick-quote-quill.org/index2.html

This is taken out of the works cited page of a comparitive literary analysis between Harry Potter, Narnia, and the Lord of the Rings. A book written by Richard Abanes. He's nationally recognized as an authority on cults and religion.
Herald
Wardrobian

Postby The Bigsleep J » February 16th, 2006, 5:57 am

Insert supposedly witty but random absurd comment here and add water
The Bigsleep J
Wardrobian

Postby robsia » February 16th, 2006, 9:11 am

robsia
Wardrobian