This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

A vote on LIMBO

What is your view of the doctrine of Limbo?

Poll ended at March 20th, 2006, 2:14 pm

I am a Roman Catholic Christian and agree with the doctrine of LIMBO.
5%
I am a Roman Catholic Christian and disagree with the doctrine of LIMBO.
15%
I am a Christian but not a Roman Catholic and agree with the doctrine of LIMBO.
No votes
I am a Christian but not a Roman Catholic and disagree with the doctrine of LIMBO.
60%
None of the above
20%

Total votes : 20

A vote on LIMBO

Postby hammurabi2000 » February 18th, 2006, 2:14 pm

The long held doctrine of LIMBO is set to be consigned to the dustbin according to press reports. This intrigues me because given the doctrine of Papal infallibility I should have thought that doing so would raise a few problems.

What do people think about:
[1] LIMBO?
[2] The proposals from the Vatican?
[3] The implications for Papal infallibility?
[4] What Lewis thought and said about it?
hammurabi2000
Wardrobian

Re: A vote on LIMBO

Postby mjmann » February 18th, 2006, 7:06 pm

What do people think about:
[1] LIMBO?

MJM: I can see the rationale for Limbo (is there a reason why you spell it in upper case letters?) but do not agree with it as it would seem to limit the mercy of God.

[2] The proposals from the Vatican?
MJM: I would have no problem if the Church consigned the doctrine of limbo to the dustbin. It has never been more than an idea of the theologians, formulated to account for the fate of the 'righteous 'unbaptised. The Church has never declared her mind on the issue. If she does formally declare that the doctrine of limbo is unsound, she is not reversing any previous judgement.

[3] The implications for Papal infallibility?
MJM: For the reasons mentioned in [2] I do not believe that there are any implications for the doctrine of papal infallibility whatsoever.

[4] What Lewis thought and said about it?
MJM: I don't know! I shall let someone else answer that one!

MJM
mjmann
Wardrobian

re: A vote on LIMBO

Postby robsia » February 18th, 2006, 7:46 pm

robsia
Wardrobian

Postby Theo » February 19th, 2006, 12:41 am

The only time I can recall Lewis explicitly referring to Limbo is in "Screwtape proposes a toast", which is of course primarily a piece of fiction (it also refers to Cerberus) and not a theological tract. There, Screwtape refers to it as the place for souls that don't manage to qualify for either heaven or hell (somewhat like the antechamber of hell in Dante, but pictured more like the Greek Hades - a not particularly horrible, but boring and pointless place of grey gloom).
Theo
Wardrobian

Postby Sarah N. » February 19th, 2006, 2:43 am

To me, limbo is not neccesary because everyone who would be in there would be covered under the idea of baptism of desire, if I understand limbo correctly. Also, my beliefs are probably influenced by my two miscarried siblings, who would be in limbo, if such a thing existed, and whom I believe to be in heaven.
Sarah N.
Wardrobian

Postby hammurabi2000 » February 25th, 2006, 11:41 am

hammurabi2000
Wardrobian

Postby mjmann » February 25th, 2006, 5:14 pm

mjmann
Wardrobian

Postby Sylvia Lee » March 1st, 2006, 9:52 pm

I don't believe in "limbo," as such. But I do believe in something kind of _like_ limbo, in that I believe it is still possible for souls to repent and/or accept the Savior after they have died, if they did not have a fair chance to do so in this life (don't ask me to define a "fair chance"-- only God can do that).

Oh, and I am not a Roman Catholic-- but I think pretty much everyone already knew that.
Take my voice and let me sing always only for my King.
Take my lips, and let them be filled with messages from thee.
Take my hands and let them move at the impulse of thy love.
Take my feet and let them be swift and beautiful for thee.
Sylvia Lee
Wardrobian

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy