This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Miracles

Do you believe in Miracles?

I have never seen a miracle to my knowledge, but I believe that they happen.
15%
I have never seen a miracle and I do not believe that they happen.
9%
I have seen what some people would call Divine Providence but I would not classify it as a miracle.
9%
I have seen miracles in my life (and they could not be classified as anything else).
34%
I have seen miracles take place for other people (and it could not be called anything else).
34%

Total votes : 47

re: Miracles

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » March 9th, 2006, 2:39 pm

You're right on that, Jo, because sometimes we pray, not really understanding what God's intention is for us in any given situation. He may answer "no" or "later" because He sees the big picture and we do not, so if our prayer is for something that ultimately will hinder or harm us or another, or if our prayer is not in keeping with His will, then He, in His love and wisdom will give us an answer that may disappoint us. (Just like a parent often will disappoint their child for the same reasons!)

We may think we know what is "good" for us and of course we know what we want, but there is a "good" and there is a "best" and that may be impossible for us to discern from our finite perspective, but God sees all.
"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby WolfVanZandt » March 10th, 2006, 1:11 am

WolfVanZandt
Wardrobian

Re: re: Miracles

Postby Pete » March 10th, 2006, 3:14 am

Member of The 2456317 Club

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby WolfVanZandt » March 10th, 2006, 4:58 am

My queston, though, is, Pete, "Do you have any reason to believe that?" other than the fact that it's a pleasant concept.

Reality doesn't always side with the aesthetic and when it does, it seems to me to be more of a coincidence than a real correlation.
WolfVanZandt
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » March 10th, 2006, 5:28 am

Member of The 2456317 Club

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby WolfVanZandt » March 10th, 2006, 6:46 am

But you see, I feel like I have a pretty good overview of he Bible and I can't think of anything in the Bible that indicates that God responds to all prayers and you don't seem to disposed toward showing me such an instance.

On the other hand, scriptures such as Jer 7:16, Jer 11:14, Mic 3:4, and Zec 7:13, indicate pretty clearly to me that there are prayers that God will not respond to.

As for feeling like God responds to all prayer, I don't know why I should trust a feeling like that that isn't backed up with some kind of evidence.

So, do you have any evidence that God answers all prayers - or is that too much to ask?
WolfVanZandt
Wardrobian

Postby robsia » March 10th, 2006, 2:32 pm

I think we need to differentiate between some terms that are being used interchangeably here, when in fact they mean entirely different things.

"God listens to prayer"

"God answers prayer"

"God answers prayer favourably"

Just because God listens to a prayer, does not necessarily mean he will grant what is asked. And just because God answers a prayer does not mean he will answer it favourably.

In my example I specifically said that God should "listen to" the atheist's prayer, not necessarily that he should do as requested. Otherwise miracles would happen every day to everyone.

"Please God, can I win the lottery this Saturday."

Ain't gonna happen!

You need to know what you are asking here. Are you asking if God hears all prayers sent to him? Or are you asking if he answers all prayers, no matter what the answer ('yes', 'no', or 'not yet'), or are you asking if he answers all prayers favourably, which he obviously does not.

There's no point refuting someone's argument that God DOES listen to all prayers by saying that God obviously doesn't because he does not respond to all prayers, because those are two different things.
robsia
Wardrobian

Postby jo » March 10th, 2006, 4:02 pm

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby jo » March 10th, 2006, 4:07 pm

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby jo » March 10th, 2006, 4:08 pm

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » March 10th, 2006, 4:15 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » March 10th, 2006, 4:19 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby jo » March 10th, 2006, 4:35 pm

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Mary » March 10th, 2006, 5:05 pm

Mary
Wardrobian

Postby jo » March 10th, 2006, 5:09 pm

jo
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy