This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Any universalists here?

Postby John Anthony » October 23rd, 2006, 11:42 pm

Sarah, maybe you could ask your teacher how he would translate kolasis aionios, and what if any difficulties translation of these words presents. I'd certainly be interested in what he says.
John Anthony
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » October 23rd, 2006, 11:44 pm

me too
member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby Sarah N. » October 24th, 2006, 12:05 am

Live in the world as if only God and your soul were in it; then your heart will never be made captive by any earthly thing. ~ St. John of the Cross

Member of the 2456317 Club.
Sarah N.
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » October 24th, 2006, 12:29 am

Perhaps will help.
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby John Anthony » October 24th, 2006, 12:58 am

John Anthony
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » October 24th, 2006, 1:22 am

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby alecto » October 24th, 2006, 11:58 am

kolasis is from kolazo, the verb meaning "to prune" or "to curtail". The metaphorical meaning is "to punish" or "to correct" as in "to keep someone in line" just like pruning makes trees do what you need them to do.
Sentio ergo est.
alecto
Wardrobian

Postby Josh » October 24th, 2006, 1:39 pm

ecclesia semper reformata, semper reformanda.

--John Calvin
Josh
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » October 24th, 2006, 1:47 pm

Karen
Wardrobian

Postby John Anthony » October 24th, 2006, 5:06 pm

John Anthony
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » October 24th, 2006, 5:58 pm

This word study is very interesting. It does have a huge impact.

I'd like to raise another question. The sheep and the goats is a parable, so not meant to be taken verbatim. I mean, no one here seems to be suggesting that we are talking about actual sheeps and goats. But a more serious problem is that this parable sounds like we are saved by works. If you are going to take the "eternal punishment" literally, wouldn't you also have to that literally? That also makes me think that this parable is not talking about the salvation of the soul.

OK, now I'm going to go out on a really shaky limb. Could the sheep and the goats be refering to the seperation of our selfish nature from our Christ-like nature? Because most of us sometimes behave like sheep and sometimes like goats. I know that's a stretch. Any thoughts?[/list]
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Universalist?

Postby tampastranger » October 25th, 2006, 5:38 am

May His SonShine in your walk
Anita, tampastranger
tampastranger
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » October 25th, 2006, 11:38 am

A universalist is someone who believes that all people are eventually saved, and that no one spends eternity in hell. There are various verses used to support this, such as 1 Timothy 2:3-4 This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. There are, of course, verses on both sides of the issue. :smile:

As for your Wardrobe status, you can either send a private message to John or post your question in the
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » October 25th, 2006, 10:45 pm

nomad
Wardrobian

Postby lee_merrill » October 27th, 2006, 1:43 am

"As Macdonald said, 'No one loves because he sees reason, but because he loves.'" (C.S. Lewis)
lee_merrill
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy