This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Any universalists here?

Postby David Jack » October 18th, 2006, 7:31 pm

I should point out that what I suppose i may now call 'my universalism' (being a novice of about a day) is scripture based, and while like Lara I believe in second chances, I would take the anglo-catholic position and say that those are offered in purgatory.

There is also some very sound argument from scripture in the link i posted (i think it includes the chapter Lara mentioned.)
"This is and has been the Father’s work from the beginning-to bring us into the home of His heart.” George MacDonald.
David Jack
Wardrobian

Postby Josh » October 18th, 2006, 8:21 pm

ecclesia semper reformata, semper reformanda.

--John Calvin
Josh
Wardrobian

Postby David Jack » October 18th, 2006, 10:59 pm

Sometimes i use 'calvinism' in quite a vague way to mean a certain atmosphere of gloominess and intolerance which has always attended it in my experience and which i certainly see in its teaching. But even if I was to use the term in its stricter sense, I am still at odds with it.

True, the mechanics of predestination (as understood by reformed theologians) don't rule out universal salvation but Calvin himself believed-and probably taught though I haven't studied him enough to know for sure-that not everyone is part of God's 'elect'. I realise that this belief is based on scripture, but then so is Calvin's understanding of predestination itself, so the two things can't be separated. Of course I believe he interpreted scripture wrongly.

Christ's teaching about the narrow way is not one I had yet thought of in terms of its bearing on universalism. Certainly the 'narrow way' part poses no difficulty as far as i can see, since it simply describes the difficulty of following him. As for 'few entering in', I'm not sure. I wonder whether it might mean 'enter in directly?' That is just speculation since I am very new to entertaining the idea of purgatory (used to be firmly reformed in that sense!) and haven't looked at the verse in context or traced it to the original greek. One thing that universalist link showed me was that i had unwittingly been fed a party line by many verses supposed to disprove their standpoint.
"This is and has been the Father’s work from the beginning-to bring us into the home of His heart.” George MacDonald.
David Jack
Wardrobian

Postby Josh » October 19th, 2006, 1:29 am

--John Calvin
Josh
Wardrobian

Postby David Jack » October 19th, 2006, 2:29 am

David Jack
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » October 19th, 2006, 2:54 am

member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby Josh » October 19th, 2006, 3:15 am

--John Calvin
Josh
Wardrobian

Postby David Jack » October 19th, 2006, 3:37 am

Equally, I could say that it IS gloomy in Scotland because gloominess is a corollary of belief in Calvinist doctrines. I also wonder, going back to nomad's point, whether even members of those denominations in america whose official 'line' is Calvinist really ever think much about predestination (or even know what their church's teaching is) and if not, whether that might be the reason they're not depressed :toothy-grin:
David Jack
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » October 19th, 2006, 3:45 am

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby Josh » October 19th, 2006, 6:13 am

--John Calvin
Josh
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » October 19th, 2006, 2:48 pm

nomad
Wardrobian

Postby John Anthony » October 19th, 2006, 4:10 pm

John Anthony
Wardrobian

Postby Theo » October 19th, 2006, 4:16 pm

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe

“First they came for Abdul Rahman and I spoke out because I was a Muslim. Then they came for the Palestinians and I raised hell because I was a Jew. Then they came for the Iraqis and I protested because I was an American. Then they came for the Muslims and I spoke out because I was a Christian, Then they came for the poor and I spoke out because I was rich. By the time they came for me, I had all the support a man could ask for.”
Theo
Wardrobian

Postby Josh » October 19th, 2006, 4:27 pm

--John Calvin
Josh
Wardrobian

Postby John Anthony » October 19th, 2006, 5:03 pm

John Anthony
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy