This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Love

re: Love

Postby Theo » March 29th, 2006, 11:29 am

I was going to ask if the little discussion about my new sig could be split off into a thread of its own because I felt it was a little off-topic, but on second thought I think it became very on-topic indeed. :)

Sehoy, I guess you and I will have to agree to disagree. But if you haven't done so already, I suggest you (and everyone else) read's in full, and get the quote in context rather than my clumsy attempt at explaining it. Like I've said, I can't guarantee what anyone else will feel but I found it very uplifting.

In order to tie this back to the starting question, it all reminds me of what I find perhaps the most striking illustration of love in the Bible, the story that Jesus uses in Luke to illustrate the meaning of "love thy neighbour as thyself" and, more particularly who is your neighbour.

The story is very familiar to us now although what I feel is its major point often gets lost. A man is robbed and left to die, and the first one to take pity on him is not only a stranger, but a stranger from a hostile neighbouring country, his enemy both politically and religiously. (Actually, if I remember correctly Samaria is in present-day Palestine, so it would not be too much of a stretch to call it the parable of the Good Palestinian. :)) Everyone is our neighbour - including, and perhaps particularly, those we tend to think of as Others and enemies.

(To harp on Mr. Amr's piece for perhaps the final time, I read the end of it as an encouragement to all of us to be the good Samaritan - the good Infidel, the good Enemy, the good rich man, or whichever fits - when we are in the position to.)
Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe

“First they came for Abdul Rahman and I spoke out because I was a Muslim. Then they came for the Palestinians and I raised hell because I was a Jew. Then they came for the Iraqis and I protested because I was an American. Then they came for the Muslims and I spoke out because I was a Christian, Then they came for the poor and I spoke out because I was rich. By the time they came for me, I had all the support a man could ask for.”
Theo
Wardrobian

Re: re: Love

Postby Pete » March 29th, 2006, 11:56 am

Member of The 2456317 Club

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby Adam » March 29th, 2006, 3:16 pm

"Love is the only art that poorly imitates nature."
Adam
Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » March 29th, 2006, 10:50 pm

“And turn their grief into song?" he replied. "That would be a gracious act and a good beginning."

Quid and Harmony: a fund-raising project for the Fistula Hospital, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. www.smithysbook.com
AllanS

Postby Adam » March 29th, 2006, 11:14 pm

Adam
Wardrobian

Postby Tony » March 29th, 2006, 11:32 pm

"The Church is the natural home of the Human Spirit."
-Hilaire Belloc
Tony
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » March 30th, 2006, 12:42 am

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » March 30th, 2006, 1:23 am

“And turn their grief into song?" he replied. "That would be a gracious act and a good beginning."

Quid and Harmony: a fund-raising project for the Fistula Hospital, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. www.smithysbook.com
AllanS

Postby Adam » March 30th, 2006, 3:51 am

Adam
Wardrobian

Postby Adam » March 30th, 2006, 3:56 am

Adam
Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » March 30th, 2006, 4:25 am

AllanS

Postby Adam » March 30th, 2006, 5:55 am

Adam
Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » March 30th, 2006, 7:30 am

AllanS

Postby sehoy » March 30th, 2006, 7:35 am

Last edited by sehoy on March 30th, 2006, 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
cor meum vigilat
sehoy

Postby Adam » March 30th, 2006, 7:49 am

Adam
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy