This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

recommended devotional book?

Postby A#minor » May 27th, 2007, 7:13 pm

Our Sunday School is using a devotional workbook now called Strengthen Thy Brethren by Dr. Clarence Sexton. It's a study of I Peter. I'm enjoying it so far.

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » May 29th, 2007, 6:50 pm

Postby A#minor » May 29th, 2007, 11:04 pm

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » May 30th, 2007, 1:04 pm

Not enough adults are involved in small group discipleship such as Sunday School. Too many stunt their spiritual growth by trying to do it on their own, or just through Sunday morning services. You may consider your Sunday School attendence nothing special, but I think your Master considers it very special.

- Dan -

Postby texascat » May 30th, 2007, 6:00 pm

Last edited by texascat on May 31st, 2007, 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Never judge a book by its movie." J.W. Eagan
texascat
Wardrobian

Nouwen

Postby larry gilman » May 31st, 2007, 7:34 pm

Karla wrote,

"As for me, I've been reading a lot of Henri Nouwen in the last year or so, and I'm actually going to a conference devoted to him and his works in May. I'm very excited."

That IS exciting. My wife and I have been reading Nouwen for the last year or so---he has quickly shot up into my short list of favorite spiritual writers, along with George MacDonald and Thomas Merton. Wise, beautiful, with tough tendons underneath that gentle prose.

Larry
larry gilman
Wardrobian

Re: re: recommended devotional book?

Postby David Jack » June 5th, 2007, 8:14 pm

Last edited by David Jack on June 5th, 2007, 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This is and has been the Father’s work from the beginning-to bring us into the home of His heart.” George MacDonald.
David Jack
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » June 5th, 2007, 8:25 pm

Prayer: Finding the Heart's True Home by Richard Foster

Ever Increasing Faith by Smith Wigglesworth

The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer

The Purpose Driven Life by Rich Warren

Beginning to Pray by Anthony Bloom

Discipleship Essentials: A Guide to Building Your Life in Christ by Greg Ogden

The Complete Book of Discipleship: On Being and Making Followers of Christ by Bill Hull
Last edited by Guest on June 14th, 2007, 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby postodave » June 14th, 2007, 2:03 pm

Devotional Classics: Selected Readings for Individuals and Groups by Richard J. Foster and James Bryan Smith (Paperback - Jul 2005)

It has fifty two selections from devotioanl writers ranging over the whole spectrum of Christian belief: Catholic, Puritan, Quaker etc and over the centuries. Lewis is first up. For each selection it gives a relevent Bible reading, questions for reflection and spiritual excercises. Wonderful.
So I drew my sword and got ready
But the lamb ran away with the crown
postodave
Wardrobian

Postby girlfreddy » June 18th, 2007, 3:21 am

How would telling people to be nice to one another get a man crucified? What government would execute Mister Rogers or Captain Kangaroo?
Philip Yancey

http://girlfreddy.wordpress.com/
girlfreddy
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy