This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

recommended devotional book?

recommended devotional book?

Postby Adam Linton » April 2nd, 2006, 2:22 am

I'm not usually that much into devotional books per se, but On the Invocation of the Name of Jesus, by Lev Gillet ("Monk of the Eastern Church") is a wonderful little volume, I'd say. Years ago I loaned my copy and forgot to whom I loaned it (whoever it was may consider it my gift). A few days ago I saw it on Amazon and purchased for myself another one (and may have got the last quickly available copy -- many apologies!). I've been reading again it in bits over the last few days -- and finding it truly nourishing.

Anyone else read it?

Anyone else care to share other recent spiritual reading that you found of particular personal value?
we have not loosely through silence permitted things to pass away as in a dream
Adam Linton
Wardrobian

Re: recommended devotional book?

Postby Josh » April 2nd, 2006, 5:27 am

ecclesia semper reformata, semper reformanda.

--John Calvin
Josh
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » April 2nd, 2006, 12:31 pm

Reflecting the Glory: Meditations for Living Christ's Life in the World by N.T. Wright. I'm very fond of Wright. He writes very scholarly works, such as his Christian Origins and the Question of God series (each a massive tome), and also writes beautifully for the layman. And most of all, he writes well. It's a pleasure to read good modern Christian prose, which has been in short supply since CS Lewis.
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Adam Linton » April 2nd, 2006, 6:29 pm

we have not loosely through silence permitted things to pass away as in a dream
Adam Linton
Wardrobian

Postby Karla » April 2nd, 2006, 9:37 pm

Grace dances. I would pipe; dance, all of you...

Hymn of Jesus from 'The Acts of John'

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
Karla
Wardrobian

re: recommended devotional book?

Postby Mary » April 3rd, 2006, 5:06 am

I am reading Taste and See by John Piper. It was a gift from my Dad, who is beside himself with joy that I have returned to the faith. It is not one that I would have chosen myself, but that's the good thing about gift books....they get you to take a look at something that you might not otherwise.

I haven't seen a lot of devotional books, so I don't know what they are usually like. Each reading in this one is 1-2 pages. You can read them in a few minutes.

I try to read something out of it each day, and sometimes I read a few of the selections. It's good stuff......I always find something meaningful in there, or something to think about.

The only thing that's annoyed me so far is Piper's reading on how women should and should not relate to their appearance in the world. He had some good points, but I'm SO not interested in hearing that stuff from men.
Mary
Wardrobian

Postby ijohn_patmos » April 3rd, 2006, 11:48 pm

On a dark night, Kindled in love with yearnings-
oh, happy chance! -I went forth without being observed. My house being now at rest.
[Ascent of Mount Carmel I.(i)]
ijohn_patmos
Wardrobian

Postby contra mundum » April 10th, 2006, 2:49 pm

Henry Scougal's The Life of God in the Soul of Man is an outstanding work on spiritual formation. Scougal is rare among the Puritans in that he makes righteousness readable. I recommend this book especially for vacations--you can finish it in three afternoons at the beach. As for its availability, Christian Focus published an edition with an introduction by J. I. Packer, and it's also available for free online at www.ccel.org.

Other ideas: Dietrich Bonhoeffer's Life Together and Jerry Bridges's The Pursuit of Holiness.
“Doubt no longer, then, when you see death mocked and scorned by those who believe in Christ, that by Christ death was destroyed . . .”

Athanasius
contra mundum
Wardrobian

Postby wisewoman » April 10th, 2006, 11:05 pm

I've been reading Oswald Chambers' My Utmost For His Highest for the past year... And I think I will for a long time to come. I love his focus on Jesus Christ, the Beginning and End of everything. All my Christian work, all my artifices of virtue—none of it means anything if I am not devoted to the Person of Jesus Christ. It's eye-opening :)

You can read it online too at http://www.myutmost.org.
She hoped to be wise and reasonable in time; but alas! alas! she must confess to herself that she was not wise yet. ~ Jane Austen, Persuasion
wisewoman
Wardrobian

Postby Boromir » April 15th, 2006, 9:57 am

Grown-ups are always thinking of uninteresting explanations.

Digory
Boromir
Wardrobian

Postby Boromir » April 15th, 2006, 10:03 am

Grown-ups are always thinking of uninteresting explanations.

Digory
Boromir
Wardrobian

Postby Robin » April 20th, 2006, 7:47 pm

Robin
Wardrobian

Postby Summer » April 21st, 2006, 3:41 am

I read My Utmost for His Highest every year, and am just starting The Ragamuffin Gospel. So far, so good!
People flock in, nevertheless, in search of answers to those questions only librarians are considered to be able to answer, such as "Is this the laundry?" "How do you spell surreptitious?" and, on a regular basis, "Do you have a book I remember reading once? It had a red cover and it turned out they were twins." ~Terry Pratchett, about libraries
And we shall reach zero at some point. :)
Summer
Wardrobian

Re: re: recommended devotional book?

Postby Fea_Istra » May 27th, 2007, 9:18 am

"Where, except in uncreated light, can the darkness be drowned?" ~CS Lewis
Fea_Istra
Wardrobian

Postby girlfreddy » May 27th, 2007, 10:59 am

How would telling people to be nice to one another get a man crucified? What government would execute Mister Rogers or Captain Kangaroo?
Philip Yancey

http://girlfreddy.wordpress.com/
girlfreddy
Wardrobian

Next

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy