This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Catholic view on modern heretics

re: Catholic view on modern heretics

Postby Theo » May 1st, 2006, 9:44 pm

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe

“First they came for Abdul Rahman and I spoke out because I was a Muslim. Then they came for the Palestinians and I raised hell because I was a Jew. Then they came for the Iraqis and I protested because I was an American. Then they came for the Muslims and I spoke out because I was a Christian, Then they came for the poor and I spoke out because I was rich. By the time they came for me, I had all the support a man could ask for.”
Theo
Wardrobian

Re: re: Catholic view on modern heretics

Postby mjmann » May 1st, 2006, 10:10 pm

mjmann
Wardrobian

Postby mjmann » May 1st, 2006, 10:18 pm

mjmann
Wardrobian

Child of Vatican II

Postby Kanakaberaka » May 1st, 2006, 10:21 pm

so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Postby VixenMage » May 1st, 2006, 10:24 pm

"The only thing I know for certain is that I know nothing for certain."
VixenMage
Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » May 2nd, 2006, 12:16 am

“And turn their grief into song?" he replied. "That would be a gracious act and a good beginning."

Quid and Harmony: a fund-raising project for the Fistula Hospital, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. www.smithysbook.com
AllanS

Postby ijohn_patmos » May 2nd, 2006, 1:43 am

On a dark night, Kindled in love with yearnings-
oh, happy chance! -I went forth without being observed. My house being now at rest.
[Ascent of Mount Carmel I.(i)]
ijohn_patmos
Wardrobian

Postby Authur » May 2nd, 2006, 1:53 am

timendi causa est nescire
Authur
Wardrobian

Postby mjmann » May 2nd, 2006, 6:34 am

Author,

There are so many Protestant churches in the world that I would doubt that the Catholic Church sends delegations to each and every one. She might send people to whatever (if any) umbrella group oversees particular groups of churches, but I don't know for sure (this is not an area about which I have much knowledge, unfortunately). Perhaps someone coming from a low church tradition might be able to help you with this question.

MJM
mjmann
Wardrobian

Postby sehoy » May 2nd, 2006, 8:37 am

I was faithfully Protestant/Baptist for twenty years, and returned to the Catholic Church specifically because of Dominus Jesus, written by then Cardinal Ratzinger, now Pope Benedict the 16th, specifically because he wrote that Protestants were separated brethren and not heretics.

I could not have returned to the Catholic Church if Prostestants were considered heretics, because I knew that was not true, from personal experience.

My return to the Catholic Church was my small way of trying to do my part to repair the horrible gaping wound in the Body of Christ caused by the Protestant/Catholic split.

I thought I was giving up a great deal and humbling myself. I found, instead that I stepped into an amazingly beautiful world teeming with LIFE.
cor meum vigilat
sehoy

Postby Pete » May 2nd, 2006, 10:26 am

Member of The 2456317 Club

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby mjmann » May 2nd, 2006, 8:40 pm

Pete,

That's fair enough. I never saw that thread. Not that it really matters, I suppose, if Adam was joking.

Anyhow, what you say inspires two thoughts.

On the one hand, it is good that you aren't bothered by what others say about you.

On the other, however, do you think that Jesus speaks to you, say, only through your reading and hearing of the Scriptures and in your own awareness of Him? I think He speaks to us through other Christians. This may mean individuals, groups as well as the Magisterium. Hence, I would not be so dismissive of anyone who called me a heretic or, as would be more likely, said that I was just wrong in some point of theology. I may disagree with them, but I would not be inclined to say "it's about me and Jesus and no body else."

With the exception of the Magisterium, I reckon you probably agree with me here, but what I wanted to 'flag up' was the impression of your post - it seemed that you were advocating a thoroughly individualistic understanding of the Christian life.

MJM
mjmann
Wardrobian

Postby jo » May 2nd, 2006, 8:47 pm

Malcolm, not that I am a Christian so my opinion might be a bit off here but I've always thought that if there was a God then God DOES use other people, Christian or otherwise, to get His message through.
"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Adam » May 2nd, 2006, 9:34 pm

"Love is the only art that poorly imitates nature."
Adam
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » May 2nd, 2006, 9:44 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy