This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Catholic view on modern heretics

Catholic view on modern heretics

Postby Authur » May 1st, 2006, 9:00 am

timendi causa est nescire
Authur
Wardrobian

re: Catholic view on modern heretics

Postby AllanS » May 1st, 2006, 11:29 am

“And turn their grief into song?" he replied. "That would be a gracious act and a good beginning."

Quid and Harmony: a fund-raising project for the Fistula Hospital, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. www.smithysbook.com
AllanS

Postby hammurabi2000 » May 1st, 2006, 11:45 am

Yes I would say you are right in that traditional doctrine of the RC church states that non-Roman Catholics are not Christians As people with a God-view we would be excommunicated heretics. These days we are supposed to be called separated brethren but occasionally it is made clear what the real position is in Vatican statements; the Archbishop of Canterbury did not appreciate being told his church was not a real church.

Lewis seems to have got on well with many RCs and one has to ask how important the Vatican and the Papacy is in Roman Catholicism. One summary of the differences I am currently exploring is here:

In my view the RC church is already half-protestant and it remains to be seen how much more change it will take on board that moves it further. One subtle difference when this view is reciprocated is that protestants are more articulate along the lines that the people have been led astray by the RC clergy and tend to blame hierarchy rather than people.
hammurabi2000
Wardrobian

Postby Lara » May 1st, 2006, 1:25 pm

Lara
Wardrobian

Re: Catholic view on modern heretics

Postby mjmann » May 1st, 2006, 1:43 pm

mjmann
Wardrobian

Re: Catholic view on modern heretics

Postby ijohn_patmos » May 1st, 2006, 1:49 pm

Last edited by ijohn_patmos on May 1st, 2006, 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On a dark night, Kindled in love with yearnings-
oh, happy chance! -I went forth without being observed. My house being now at rest.
[Ascent of Mount Carmel I.(i)]
ijohn_patmos
Wardrobian

Re: re: Catholic view on modern heretics

Postby mjmann » May 1st, 2006, 1:50 pm

Lara,

Your priest may be alluding to a document called which states that protestant churches, because they have no valid eucharist or priesthood, cannot be considered 'true churches'. This is in contrast to the Catholic Church and the Orthodox Churches which have both. To read more, click on the link above, and go to Chapter IV 'Unicity and Unity of the Church'.

Do Catholics really believe that Protestants are not real Christians? Of course not! The Church is quite sure that they are and no Catholic should ever believe otherwise.

MJM
mjmann
Wardrobian

Postby Lara » May 1st, 2006, 3:05 pm

Lara
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » May 1st, 2006, 4:06 pm

Personally, I think the words heretic and heretical are too easily thrown around (even in this forum - though I won't mention names). Protestant belief may be "heretical" according to the Roman Catholic Church, but, if we see it in that light, then surely some of the Roman Catholic beliefs would appear to be "heretical" when compared to the beliefs of the Church before it became institutionalised and a state religion.

I don't apologize for being controversial in that statement, however, I think we all have the solution to weed out the heresies that may be within the Christian Church - Jesus Christ, the Way, the Truth and the Life, all other church doctrines and teachings apart from Salvation through Jesus Christ and Life in Him and through the Holy Spirit (that is to say - apart from the Truth taught in the Gospel) pales into insignificance (IMO).
Member of The 2456317 Club

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby mjmann » May 1st, 2006, 4:20 pm

mjmann
Wardrobian

Postby Genie » May 1st, 2006, 4:36 pm

Totus tuus

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
Genie
Wardrobian

Postby mjmann » May 1st, 2006, 4:41 pm

mjmann
Wardrobian

Postby Lara » May 1st, 2006, 8:55 pm

Lara
Wardrobian

Postby Theo » May 1st, 2006, 9:01 pm

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe

“First they came for Abdul Rahman and I spoke out because I was a Muslim. Then they came for the Palestinians and I raised hell because I was a Jew. Then they came for the Iraqis and I protested because I was an American. Then they came for the Muslims and I spoke out because I was a Christian, Then they came for the poor and I spoke out because I was rich. By the time they came for me, I had all the support a man could ask for.”
Theo
Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » May 1st, 2006, 9:43 pm

“And turn their grief into song?" he replied. "That would be a gracious act and a good beginning."

Quid and Harmony: a fund-raising project for the Fistula Hospital, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. www.smithysbook.com
AllanS

Next

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy