This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Only Catholics go to heaven?

Only Catholics go to heaven?

Postby JLG » July 31st, 2006, 9:06 am

I heard a man on the radio a while ago, and the things he said greatly disturbed me. He was a Catholic priest and said, matter-of-factly, that only people belonging to the Catholic faith may enter into the Kingdom of God. Many people belonging to different donominations phoned in and asked him to clarify, but he said that no other church is the "true church," and that everyone who is not part of the Catholic church are damned.

One of the reasons he stated was that, because Jesus gave Peter the authority to build his Church, and because the Catholic church claims Peter as their founder, no other church is valid. He also said that Jesus intended only one church, so any one other than the Catholic church is against Christ.

He also said that Christ commanded us to be baptised and take communion, and that since not all non-Catholic churches do these things, people of other denominations cannot be saved.

Is this what every Catholic believes?

I was always under the impression that simply acknowledging Christ as our saviour was enough. I was surprised that works and tradition played such a large part in salvation. I was also surprised that this man put so much emphasis on the Catholic church being the only "true church."
Personally, I've never subscribed to any single denomination. I've moved a lot, so I've been to Pentecostal, Presbyterian, Anglican, Baptist, and Anabaptist churches. Basically, I've never really seen the absolute importance of following the almost legalistic "traditions" of Christianity,
but instead simply look for a place to worship with fellow Bible-believing followers of Christ. In fact, when Jesus mentioned the "Church," I thought he meant the entire Body of Christ; that is, everyone who follows the inspired Word of God and claims Christ as their saviour.

Am I wrong? Is there any "right" denomination? Am I not getting into heaven unless I have my communion wafers and grape juice every Sunday?
Jordan.

RIP Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
1937-2005
JLG
Wardrobian

re: Only Catholics go to heaven?

Postby The Bigsleep J » July 31st, 2006, 9:28 am

I think the priest you mentioned is not a majority but a small minority of Church members who believe this. Although the many people in the Catholic Church believe that all Christian denominations might someday be united again under the Catholic Church, as I understand they don't see belonging to a different denomination as a damnable offense. Pope John Paul II was very big for ecumenism with other Christian denominations.
Insert supposedly witty but random absurd comment here and add water
The Bigsleep J
Wardrobian

Postby soul101 » July 31st, 2006, 9:52 am

*double post*
Last edited by soul101 on July 31st, 2006, 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
soul101
Wardrobian

Postby soul101 » July 31st, 2006, 9:52 am

soul101
Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » July 31st, 2006, 12:00 pm

My mad aunt (I joke not) has just joined a Catholic Church whose priests publicly state the last five Popes have been apostate. So it seems most Catholics won't get to Heaven either.

At this rate, the Celestial Party will be a bit of a fizzer.
“And turn their grief into song?" he replied. "That would be a gracious act and a good beginning."

Quid and Harmony: a fund-raising project for the Fistula Hospital, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. www.smithysbook.com
AllanS

Postby jo » July 31st, 2006, 1:50 pm

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby tangent » July 31st, 2006, 2:47 pm

tangent
Wardrobian

Postby soul101 » July 31st, 2006, 3:03 pm

I agree with your last statement tangent. I don't believe that any man has the power to actually wipe Gods slate clean, or to be the bridge in the gap between God and other men, simply because they are as fallen as those that they would attempt to save. It was by Jesus wounds we are healed, and no-one comes to the father except through Him.

However I don't think that the priest was saying "only a catholic can save you;" rather "The definition of saved is catholic."
soul101
Wardrobian

Re: re: Only Catholics go to heaven?

Postby JLG » July 31st, 2006, 3:29 pm

Jordan.

1937-2005
JLG
Wardrobian

Postby soul101 » July 31st, 2006, 3:34 pm

soul101
Wardrobian

Postby JLG » July 31st, 2006, 3:40 pm

Jordan.

1937-2005
JLG
Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » July 31st, 2006, 9:34 pm

My sins are forgiven because God is good. A priest can remind me of that. Anyone can remind me of that.
“And turn their grief into song?" he replied. "That would be a gracious act and a good beginning."

Quid and Harmony: a fund-raising project for the Fistula Hospital, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. www.smithysbook.com
AllanS

Postby Tony » August 1st, 2006, 4:08 am

Last edited by Tony on August 1st, 2006, 4:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The Church is the natural home of the Human Spirit."
-Hilaire Belloc
Tony
Wardrobian

Postby Tony » August 1st, 2006, 4:09 am

"The Church is the natural home of the Human Spirit."
-Hilaire Belloc
Tony
Wardrobian

Re: re: Only Catholics go to heaven?

Postby Theo » August 1st, 2006, 8:47 am

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe

“First they came for Abdul Rahman and I spoke out because I was a Muslim. Then they came for the Palestinians and I raised hell because I was a Jew. Then they came for the Iraqis and I protested because I was an American. Then they came for the Muslims and I spoke out because I was a Christian, Then they came for the poor and I spoke out because I was rich. By the time they came for me, I had all the support a man could ask for.”
Theo
Wardrobian

Next

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy